PDA

View Full Version : Engine: stud 259 v-8

rocknreptile
09-29-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a stud 259 v-8, , I am looking to put a 4 barrel on, I would reather replace the intake manifold with a new one. can anyone tell me what other manifolds are compatable with the 259 ?
Thanks

rockne10
09-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Why not use a Stude 4-bbl intake? Or, have DEEPNHOCK set you up with a newly machined one.

gohdes
09-29-2012, 09:49 PM
yes, there are a couple vendors that sell the stude 4 bbl intake which is modified from a 2 bbl. It allows the use of an edelbrock or holley 4 bbl carb. simplest change. This is what I have on my 259 lark engine.17917

Dan Timberlake
09-30-2012, 12:16 PM
"4 bbl intake which is modified from a 2 bbl."

Isn't that pretty much what the factory did, too ?

SN-60
09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
To: Dan Timberlake,-----Now that You mention it...The factory actually took their existing 4bbl. intake and created a 'new' lower 2bbl. intake.

Lucy the Lark
09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I have a 60 Lark 259 2V, but I see you have different hoses from/to your ext oil filter. Where did you get these? My original metal leak at the fittings. Thanks Tom

candbstudebakers
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
To: Dan Timberlake,-----Now that You mention it...The factory actually took their existing 4bbl. intake and created a 'new' lower 2bbl. intake.

I don't think so as the early ones had a smaller bolt pattern and also the later ones also had the area to mount the coil, I have both types in stock and am in California if interested.

blackhawk
10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't think so as the early ones had a smaller bolt pattern and also the later ones also had the area to mount the coil, I have both types in stock and am in California if interested.

I assume you are referring to the bolt pattern for mounting the carburetor to the intake manifold. This pattern, and the openings in the manifold, are smaller for the WCFB carb than they are for the AFB. This would be an easy change for the factory to make without changing the basic manifold itself. The intake manifold for the WCFB dates back to 1955, I believe. My guess is that the factory just changed the bolt pattern and openings on the top of the manifold to make the existing 4-bbl intake manifold fit the AFB when it became available. I have both manifolds, but on different cars, so I can't put them side by side. However, they look very similar except for the top where the carb mounts.

gohdes
10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I have a 60 Lark 259 2V, but I see you have different hoses from/to your ext oil filter. Where did you get these? My original metal leak at the fittings. Thanks Tom

Tom: I had a devil of a time finding the correct hoses. I went to every FLAPS in town with my old hose in hand, and no one could figure it out. It had two different ends on it, with some brass elbow, and was braided metal. I have no idea where that one came from, it was on the car two years ago when I bought it. I think it may have even been a brake hose. I scratched my head for several days trying to figure it out.

I eventually ordered the hoses from Studebaker International. They are rubber, look like a brake hose. I ordered the longer length ones, not the ones that the description says to order. The smaller 9 inch one (labeled outlet hose) did not fit! I ordered that one, and it had a different size end on it, so I ordered a new oil filter base, but the hose didn't fit in that one either. Had to send those back. It was too short also. I used the same hose for each one (I believe it was the 10.875 inches part # 536792 listed as oil filter inlet hose). I did use some brass elbows to keep from making any huge bends in the hoses, and to facilitate installation and removal. That's what did my braided one in, it had a 90 degree bend in it, and started leaking right at the bend. Can't remember if the brass piece was an adapter or not, but I think it was 3/8" pipe thread. Those brass pieces I got from O'Reilly, they've got several in different configurations and sizes. I can try to look it up if you need it.
I also routed my hoses around the front, adding a piece of fuel line over the rubber to protect against rubbing on the radiator clamp and the oil tube bolts.

Here's a couple close up pictures, hope they help.
YMMV, of course, your's may not be anything like mine was/is!