PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: 50 front wheel lugs

wdills
09-29-2012, 06:17 PM
The 50 I am working on has left hand thread on the front lugs. I assume this is not stock. Is this drum correct?
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/wdills/BrakeDrum.jpg

55 56 PREZ 4D
09-29-2012, 06:26 PM
From the factory.
Left hand lugs on the drivers side, front and rear.
Right hand lugs on the passenger side, front and rear.

wdills
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I guess someone changed out the passenger side drum. Both fronts have left hand lugs.

Thanks for the info.

RadioRoy
09-29-2012, 07:46 PM
MoPar cars had this too. It was really not that unusual back in the day.

1962larksedan
09-29-2012, 08:15 PM
MoPar cars had this too. It was really not that unusual back in the day.

Mopar up to 1970 or so...........

studegary
09-30-2012, 10:17 AM
From the factory.
Left hand lugs on the drivers side, front and rear.
Right hand lugs on the passenger side, front and rear.

Only for left hand drive cars. It would be accurate for all cars to say left hand thread on the left side of the car and right hand thread on the right side of the car. Remember that we have many on the Forum with right hand drive cars.

55 56 PREZ 4D
09-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm very sorry for making the greivous error of referring to the left hand side of an automobile as the "drivers side" and the right hand side as the "passenger side".
As the O P and I:
1. Are both from the United States [North Carolina, California, to be specific]
2. In both states the vehicles are driven from the left hand side, as cars have been throughout the United States for over a century [mistakenly referred to in the United States
over many years, in most locations and by many people as the "drivers side"].
The O P directly referrenced a vehicle that he was working on.[not a vehicle that was built for use in a location using R H D or that was going to be used in such location]
In order to maintain political correctness on the forum I shall refrain from the use of the evil "D" or "P" word in the future.
To all life forms [would the use of the word "people" here be too limiting and non "PC"] throughout the Studebaker community who do practice R H D,
I am sorry for the slight that has occurred.
If I have injured any life form with my narrow minded comment,
Please accept my apology.

studegary
09-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm very sorry for making the greivous error of referring to the left hand side of an automobile as the "drivers side" and the right hand side as the "passenger side".
As the O P and I:
1. Are both from the United States [North Carolina, California, to be specific]
2. In both states the vehicles are driven from the left hand side, as cars have been throughout the United States for over a century [mistakenly referred to in the United States
over many years, in most locations and by many people as the "drivers side"].
The O P directly referrenced a vehicle that he was working on.[not a vehicle that was built for use in a location using R H D or that was going to be used in such location]
In order to maintain political correctness on the forum I shall refrain from the use of the evil "D" or "P" word in the future.
To all life forms [would the use of the word "people" here be too limiting and non "PC"] throughout the Studebaker community who do practice R H D,
I am sorry for the slight that has occurred.
If I have injured any life form with my narrow minded comment,
Please accept my apology.

I wasn't trying to start a war or be smart. I realize that the OP would have a left hand drive car. I was only concerned with the confusion that may follow from someone with a RHD car reading this post in the future. We have to keep in mind that questions and answers on this Forum are not just between two people, but are read now and in the future by many people from all around the World and some do not have English as their primary language.

rockne10
09-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Our Freightliner trucks are still built with Left threads on the left side.

nvonada
10-01-2012, 07:09 AM
If you ever take your car to a shop for service make sure you tell the mechanic about the left-hand threads. Lots of people have never seen this before and they will break something.

Nathan

candbstudebakers
10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Now more than 50 years have passed and in other cases 60 and 70 so over the years anything can and will be changed just to keep it on the road, no big deal if cars has all left hand lug nuts if you know that when changing the tire, people do what they have to do to keep them rolling.

52hawk
10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
There are some RHD cars driven in the USA,and some of those are Studebakers.

53commander
10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
If you ever take your car to a shop for service make sure you tell the mechanic about the left-hand threads. Lots of people have never seen this before and they will break something.

Nathan

Thats a great point. I changed mine to all right hand threads because I'm afraid I would break them myself. I'm a dealer mechanic and I'm just so used to taking lug nuts off with my air gun that I know I would do it without even thinking.

55 56 PREZ 4D
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
52 hawk:
Yes. You are correct.
It appears that I HAVE harmed the Studebaker community in some way.
To reiterate my previous statement one more time, again, and to add to it.
If I have injured any life form throughout or within [or outside] the Studebaker community,
Please, Please ! Accept my humble apology.
I beg your forgiveness.
I bought a parts car that had 3 right hand thread hubs. An owner in the distant past had changed the rear left side hub to right hand thread.
The guy who sold it to me had broken 2 studs off the remaining front left hand thread hub before becoming frustrated and selling the car.
Once again, If there is any way I can be forgiven for my unconscionable wording. Please forgive me.
This is SOOO embarassing and I don't know if I'll be able to sleep.
Let this be a lesson to all others who in the future may attempt to belittle, deride or make comment toward R H D advocates.
This shall not stand.