M5 Steering Assembly part number 197108....HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: M5 Steering Assembly part number 197108....HELP

I am rebuilding my steering assembly and the parts book is calling for a brass gasket for the housing top cover. I have called Studebaker International and other vendors and I can't locate the gasket. Hobby Lobby carries brass sheets, the only problem is, what thickness do I need? The sheets run in thickness of .005", .010", .015" and .032". Please advise...What thickness do I need?
    Thank you,
    ~Marc

You should be able to reuse the old one as long as it's not damaged. If you need to make one then just use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the old one.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, 53Commander. The strange thing is, when I took it apart, there was no brass gasket on the worm. There were plenty of shims, but I'm certain there is no brass gasket.

Comment

The gasket looks very similar to the shims

Comment

I think it's there. I'm just mistaking it for a shim. I cleaned everything up real nice, but nothing looked brass in color.
          Thank you for your replies!!!
          I have ordered new shims from SI. I can't wait to put it back together.

Comment

The "gasket" should just be part of the shim stack, should not need to be replaced. The side cover, bushings, cups, and balls are the same as early Jeep CJ2 parts, available cheap. I thought the sector shaft was the same as Jeeps, but unfortunately it isn't the same. However, you can grind off the welds for the two buttons, turn them 90 degrees, and re-weld them if there is too much wear. Here's a shot of a disassembled M5 box:

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Okay, Gary. That makes sense. I was hoping that was the answer. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X