1951 2R10 12 volt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1951 2R10 12 volt???

When I bought the pick-up the PO claimed it was 12 volt neg-ground from the factory...that it was an option. I thought 'yeah...was all the bondo optional too?' The truck and gauges all work fine, the battery is 12 volt and negative is grounded. I do not see any voltage drop devices at the fire wall or anywhere else. Was 12 volt a 1951 option? The wiring on the back side of the gauges is a huge mess I plan on unraveling in the next little while. Just thought I would ask. I have no info on the generator, regulator, etc as I need to scrap. shovel, brush, and blast tons of leaked grease, oil that has built up thick over the years.
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

No. In fact, no American car offered 12 volts in 1951. A few GM low-production models (Cad Eldorado, Buick Skylark, and Olds Holiday) went to 12v in 1953, with the rest of the GM products going in 54 and 55. Most of the rest of the industry changed in either 55 or 56. Stude changed all its vehicles to 12v in 1956. While some 6v cars were negative ground and some were positive, all 12v systems were negative ground.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 09-27-2012, 04:22 AM.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Ah yes...more myths and wives tales...don't ya just love it...?

Mike

Comment

I had thought that it was possible as a military application, like some are 24 volt. The build sheet would be the definite answer. I am 99.44% sure that it was built as a six volt.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X