Does Anyone Know This Speedster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Know This Speedster?

I have an agreement to buy this car in early November when the seller returns home from his travels. Are any forum members familiar with this car and, if so, can you comment on the quality of the restoration? Also, I would appreciate any opinions out there on the current fair market value of this car.

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/02/24/bat-exclusive-1955-studebaker-president-speedster/

I didn't read all the comments beyond the BaT description, but at least the BaT description makes no mention of the car having been converted to 12 volts. While this might make it "more reliable," it does reduce its authenticity. It also would account for the radio not working, which is disclosed.

The seller states the transmission "has been rebuilt." It was hopefully done correctly, as those can be tricky. If it was done correctly and operates well, that's a big plus.

As to the "value," it would appear that an asking price in the $40,000 range would be high, but not ridiculous if the car is as good as stated. These can bring a lot more money in a venue such as Barrett-Jackson, where people who don't know these cars are wowed by the color and BS that normally accompany them in that type of environment. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If it hasn't been driven a lot and not over 45 mph, there will be some things that need correcting, still. They get better the more you drive them. It costs more to restore than their market value, so if you always wanted a Speedster, buying one already restored is the way to go. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Most of the items listed as optional are standard on a Speedster.
        The car does not have an overdrive transmission, as stated, unless the transmission has been changed from stock. It should have a DG-250M with a lock-up torque convertor.
        As stated by Bob P., the car has been converted from six volts to 12. The wiring appears to be new style.
        The radiator cap is incorrect.
        The hood rod anti-rattle bumpers are missing.
        This car has been for sale for a long time. I would not pay that much for this car, but you probably want it more than I do.
        To your initial question - I am not famiiar with this particular car. If it has been at SDC Internationals, I have probably seen it.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know this car. Lee belonged to our local SDC Chapter and our Sun City club. He was so fussy that he would not drive it at all. If a show was 10 blocks from his home he would load it into his enclosed trailer. It is a nice car. He sold it at BJ several years ago for $40K.

Denny L

Comment

To:mcorrallo,-----When the owner returns, take the car out for a good long test drive....that should show up any deficiencies....if all seems well, I don't see You ever losing $$ if it can be bought
            for around 40K. (Pay special attention as to how the automatic transmission performs)

Comment

I'm at $42K on the car. If it really is a strong no. 2 car, that seems like a good price. But I was hoping there would be members here who know the car and can tell me whether it really is a strong #2. Thanks for the tip on the automatic transmission. Seller claims it was totally rebuilt but complains that it still leaks a little.

Comment

I see there is another 55 Speedster at the Hersey auction this year. Its estimated at $60 to $80K....also at this auction is a 66 Daytona with a 230 six /OD , there were only 8 Daytonas built with this motor tran.......hope a SDCer buys this car, it looks decent . It belonged to a Mr Halko out of Delaware, who passed away a few years ago .
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I believe if you got about 40 then go for it but they can be had for thousands less at times. It is a great car by my standards. It's only money and you can't take it or the car with ya. So what if they can be had for less. If you have the funds, get it. Will only appreciate. Watch out posting publically else someone swoofs it before you. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Just as you say, Jim, there is a very nice restored one here for $25K: www.studebakersite.com

Comment

The description says that the car has an automatic overdrive transmission. Either the description is wrong, or the transmission has been changed. Most likely an incorrect description.

If the radio doesn't work, I can help with that.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Wish you were closer to me Roy. I had my 55 Philco rebuilt and my good ol boy must have damaged something on the install. He left a 3/8" wrench in the brackets and tightened it up 'til the bezel bent and the buttons wouldn't work. Maybe next Spring....
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                          Just as you say, Jim, there is a very nice restored one here for $25K: www.studebakersite.com
                          That Speedster is a Vernon (LA) California built car.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That California Speedster (Serial#7807934) looks really nice for the $$. Interesting that someone went that far with the car......and then had the interior redone in black.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              That California Speedster (Serial#7807934) looks really nice for the $$. Interesting that someone went that far with the car......and then had the interior redone in black.
                              I thought the same thing. I owned a Speedster in the same tri-tone (Neopolitan ice cream) and it had an ivory leather seating area.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X