gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: gas mileage

Aloha: I have a 55 Commander cp.V8 (4 barrel) What gas milage can I expect?Better question---What gas milage do you get on similar car?---Aloha---Jim

Going to depend on a lot of variables. Feathering the pedal or maintaining constant rpm? Leadfoot or timid traveler? Daily climbs up Kilauea or refined coast cruises? What's your rear ratio? Automatic or 3-speed? Overdrive?

I'll start the guessing. 23 normal highway if you stay out of the secondaries.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

lots of variables, I would guess closer to 16, unless you really start to get things dialled in. That car weighs about 3800 lbs, so anything over 20 would need a lot of things right. Of course most driving in Hawaii is pretty slow, which helps; but there would be a lot of stop and go, which hurts.

Comment

I have a 56 Power Hawk and although I haven't checked my mileage on "in town" driving. I do know that I get 25 MPG highway driving. Hope this helps.

Rog
        As you walk down the fairway of life you must
        smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

You haven't told us which transmission you have. The overdrive gets better economy on the highway than does the automatic.

How many miles since the last rebuild? Since the last tuneup?

As you know better than anyone, anywhere in Hawaii today, traffic is dense. There's no steady state highway cruising as we in the western part of the biggest island know it. What I would get steady state cruising from Spokane to Salt Lake is not going to be an example of what you would get where you operate. Like StudeRanch, when I drove a similar Stude in similar conditions to Hawaiian traffic, it got about 16 MPG. Like Rog, on one very rare perfect day, when I held my '56 Power Hawk with overdrive to 55 MPH on a flat road, it got 25 MPG, but that's not real world driving.

Also, gas mileage is the third most common lie we guys tell to impress each other. Of course, not everyone lies deliberately, some just are bad at math, some have never checked the accuracy of the odometer, some don't realize each gas pump shuts off differently and thus if not topped off carefully, the tank may be filled to a different level each time.

Your results may vary.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

BTW, I have 259, 3 speed overdrive and 4bbl carb. Forgot to mention that. Mileage divided by gallons used = miles per gallon. Top off volume on pump is close enough to get a comfortable estimate.

One more thing, in all fairness, I live in the Phoenix area and the driving conditions here are pretty flat. While driving on the highway I do try to stay around 55 or 60. These things are certainly factors to be taken into consideration. My point is: Jack makes a good point.

Rog
            Last edited by 56PHawk; 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM. Reason: To add info
            As you walk down the fairway of life you must
            smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

Thanks to all---I'm encouraged. I have 3 speed---OD--- but live 4 miles up a twisty mountain road.---Jim Ayling---Honolulu.

Comment

Jim,
                Three-speed with overdrive is the cats meow for most situations. Up and down twisty mountain roads may require some observations on its use. If you allow overdrive (push the cable in) you will be allowing free-wheeling and the engine will supply no compression to keep free fall at bay when descending the lairs of Pele. You will heat and expire the brake pads. Keep the cable out and use engine compression to save your brakes. This will consume more fuel but... you live in Hawaii and own a Studebaker. What's not to love? Engage the overdrive only when you are comfortably cruising the moving expressways. To be honest, I don't think you are going to realize much advantage with the overdrive transmission on Oahu; keep the cable out unless you are certain of a highway situation. Also, do not ever park with the overdrive cable pushed in and make certain your park brake is fully functional and used at every opportunity. I have been on the islands. I know what can happen.
                Last edited by rockne10; 09-26-2012, 08:34 PM.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Maintenance makes a big difference. Before I got my Stude tuned up this season, I would be lucky to get 13 or 14 mpg. One tuneup later and I'm upset if I'm only getting 16 or 17 mpg.
                  Last edited by JimC; 09-28-2012, 08:22 AM.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                  X