PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: starter solenoid second bolt location? PICTURES ADDED

studefan
09-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a 64 lark and I'm mounting the electrical items on the drivers side inner fender. I installed NOS front fenders with NOS inner fenders so no items have been bolted in place yet.

The driver's inner fender has 2 pre-driled holes for the horn relay and 2 holes for the regulator. But, there is only one hole for the starter solenoid and it appears to be the rearward hole. There is no second hole. Why is that and how can I figure out where to drill that second hole? I have attached a photo I took of a nice Lark at the National meet this summer for reference.

Any measurements or help in determining where to drill the second solenoid hole would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

studebakerkid
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Why would you expect all the holes to be drilled? Your firewall should have flatspots on the right side for export so you should now that right hand drives were also produced. You have to drill the holes where you need them.

studefan
09-25-2012, 10:02 PM
I am talking about the driver's side inner fender, not the firewall. And, 5 of the 6 holes were already drilled from the factory. The last one was not.

BobPalma
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Jeff: If I understand you correctly, you want to know that if you position a scale like this:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF3855_zps3098c826.jpg

With one end against the flange of the hood torsion bar bracket like this:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF3861_zps5574c68c.jpg

What is the measurement to the rearmost starter solenoid hold-down bolt:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF3858_zpsadaa6b05.jpg

As you can see, the dimension is approximately 5 3/4". (Sorry for the fuzzyness as it is late and I thought this would convey what you want to know. Lens distortion makes the measurement appear differently in the first photo, but the last photo is straight-on without distortion, so it is approximately 5.75") BP

studefan
09-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Bob, the rearward hole was pre-drilled and exists. I was looking for the front hole. When I place the solenoid on the fender, the forward solenoid flange looks like it would need to be bent as the fender curves down there. I'm just trying to figure out where to drill the front hole and it doesn't seem to lay on the same plane as the existing rear hole.

Thanks for these pictures and measurements. Pics and measurements of the other hole is what I am searching for. Thanks Jeff

Skip Lackie
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I agree with Bob's measurement to the rear hole. On my 64, the top of the solenoid lines up with (is parallel to) the crease in the inner fender, so the second hole would be directly in front of the one already there -- ie, the same distance from the ground. I didn't remove the solenoid, but it appears to be mounted to a flat surface.

BobPalma
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Bob, the rearward hole was pre-drilled and exists. I was looking for the front hole. When I place the solenoid on the fender, the forward solenoid flange looks like it would need to be bent as the fender curves down there. I'm just trying to figure out where to drill the front hole and it doesn't seem to lay on the same plane as the existing rear hole.

Thanks for these pictures and measurements. Pics and measurements of the other hole is what I am searching for. Thanks Jeff

Obviously, Jeff; once you know the rear hole location as above, the front hole location will be determined by the distance between the holes on the solenoid mounting bracket. The solenoid bracket holes are slightly elongated, but the dimension still can't vary by much more than maybe 1/8" from one car to the next.

It really can't be any other way, if you stop to think about it. :rolleyes:

I just checked all three of my '64s; all three of which have their original LF fenders and aprons intact.

The solenoid position is identical on all three, and the front hole appears to be "down" about 1/4" from the rear hole, so the solenoid sits at a bit of an angle, perhaps 1/4" to 1/2" lower in the front than the rear. BP

studefan
09-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Give me some credit guys. I can locate the front hole somewhere on the arc around the rear most hole. But, the inner fender has a few bends in the area of the forward hole. The solenoid taken from the old inner fender (which I no longer have) had the forward tab bent or twisted downward to sit flat on the surface because of the weird inner fender contour around that bolt location. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show what I mean. Sorry for dragging this out and I appreciate your patience and help.

BobPalma
09-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Give me some credit guys. I can locate the front hole somewhere on the arc around the rear most hole. But, the inner fender has a few bends in the area of the forward hole. The solenoid taken from the old inner fender (which I no longer have) had the forward tab bent or twisted downward to sit flat on the surface because of the weird inner fender contour around that bolt location. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show what I mean. Sorry for dragging this out and I appreciate your patience and help.

'Something bizzare going on here, Jeff. Are you sure that's an OEM-style Studebaker solenoid? This doesn't make any sense, all this talk about bent tabs on the solenoid bracket.

As Skip confirmed, our solenoids are mounted at the top of one flat surface. That surface is indeed bent back toward the outside of the engine room, but that is immediately above the surface on which the solenoid is mounted. The solenoid is still mounted on one plane, so to speak.

No bent tabs or anything, either: Just a flat solenoid bracket mounted at the top of a flat inner fender surface, immediately before that inner fender surface folds to go toward the outside of the apron. No more, no less.

Strange. Even your original post photo appears to be exactly as our engine rooms. BP

bezhawk
09-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, BP is correct. If you are concerned with concourse correct. The picture is correct. The solenoid mounts horizontaly like posted, below the crease.

studefan
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Here are some pictures to show what I am trying to figure out. The rear hole was pre-drilled at the factory but not the front hole. The dimension of 5 3/4 in from the fender support to the rear hole is the same (approx) as Bob determined, so that's good.

But, look where the front hole would have to be drilled. I enclosed a picture of the solenoid that came off the old inner fender. The front hole was on a different plane so someone had to bend or twist the forward flange slightly to sit flat in the inner fender (I thought about sliding the solenoid to the rear but can't because it will hit the master cylinder). I suppose I will drill the hole in the area where all those contours intersect. I just thought it was odd to have to drill a hole in that location.

As I go back and look more closely at my picture of the green car in the first post, I see that the bolt heads are not parallel and at different angles indicating that it is also mounted this way.

BobPalma
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Interesting, Jeff; this is a real head-scratcher. The answer may lie in the fact that the front bolt hole is, in fact, lower on the apron than the rear bolt hole. That means the solenoid winds up being mounted at an angle. BP