• Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander Starlight coupe E/S record holder

Click image for larger version

Name:	pennzoil studebaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1736496
    Anyone remember the Sanders Flanigan Special (1951 Commander Starlight coupe E/S record holder) from Toledo Ohio? This would have been in the 1959-60 era. I was at the NHRA Nationals in Detroit in '59 but do not remember this car. Of course I did not buy my first Studebaker until 1962 so was not really too aware of them at the time.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]17849[/ATTACH]
    Anyone remember the Sanders Flanigan Special (1951 Commander Starlight coupe E/S record holder) from Toledo Ohio? This would have been in the 1959-60 era. I was at the NHRA Nationals in Detroit in '59 but do not remember this car. Of course I did not buy my first Studebaker until 1962 so was not really too aware of them at the time.
    I did not know the car while Sanders/Flanagan had it but Bill Ersham bought if from them in 1963 after the CH beat his Olds in 1962. We lost to Bill in that car in 1963 and then beat him in 1964 and a few years after that. Last I heard someone in Michigan bought it and left it set outside and and maybe was wrecked but I don't remember for sure about that. I would guess it is no longer in existence.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
      I did not know the car while Sanders/Flanagan had it but Bill Ersham bought if from them in 1963 after the CH beat his Olds in 1962. We lost to Bill in that car in 1963 and then beat him in 1964 and a few years after that. Last I heard someone in Michigan bought it and left it set outside and and maybe was wrecked but I don't remember for sure about that. I would guess it is no longer in existence.

Ted
      I had a very interesting visit with Bill Sanders back in 2001 in his home in Englewood, FL. He was Toledo, Ohio native. He began racing with a 1937 Ford Coupe in 1950 on the oval tracks of Fort Miami Speedway, Toledo, Canfield Ohio, Motor City Speedway, Detroit, and Monroe, Michigan. He later switched to racing a 1950 Plymouth coupe at Toledo, Richmond, VA, Martinsville, VA and Flat Rock, Michigan.
      In 1954, he began drag racing with a 1954 Studebaker. In 1958 he began racing the 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe. Bill said that he never lost a drag race in his class while in the 51 Commander. He said he won the Nationals in 1959, 1960, 1961, and 1962 in E stock. He also drag raced at Toledo, Detroit, Milan, MI, Osceola, IN, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Tecumseh, MI, Akron, Columbus, OH and Stanton, MI.
      From 1962 through 1971 he focused on Go-Kart racing and from 1975 through 1982 he raced a Truimph Spitfire in SCCA events.
      Last edited by trnstrtrk; 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM.
      sigpicBob Coolidge
      DeLand, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17849[/ATTACH]
        That is quite a collection of trophies!!!
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
        X