Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission

If I fill my transmission up on my 51 commander with oil over some time the oil will go into the overdrive making it overfull and the trans low . Is there not a seal between the two? I have had overdrive before and do not remember this happing.

It's not critical that the oil in the tranny be RIGHT TO the fill plug. It could be down a bit (I'd think enough to where the OD section was topped up) and still be fine. The oil's being flung all over the place when the gears are in action so it's unlikely you'll have a premature failure. Unless it's filling the OD section to where it's coming out, I wouldn't worry too much.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wayne

If I fill my transmission up on my 51 commander with oil over some time the oil will go into the overdrive making it overfull and the trans low . Is there not a seal between the two? I have had overdrive before and do not remember this happing.
      Remember- don't use regular gear oil in overdrive transmissions. Use only 80 or 90 mineral oil or 40 weight NON-deteregent motor oil.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I use 30w nondetergent oil mixed with one can STP. Has worked well for one year 6,000 miles. I read about this mixture somewhere on this Studebaker Forum.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
        X