PDA

View Full Version : 51 coupe is on ebay

mbstude
09-23-2012, 09:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110956148000#v4-41

Care to guess the final bid?

ddub
09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Very nice presentation, hope it does well. I used to think these cars were just odd looking but I have come to appreciate them.

sweetolbob
09-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Dang Matt

You are really good at presenting the car and doing the writeup. First Class!!

BTW - Who did you get to "professionally" polish the trim.:D;)

Bob

rockne10
09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
The opening bid of $19.51 didn't last long.

kurtruk
09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Final bid guess: $9651.12

Chris Pile
09-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Soon as Publishers Clearing House brings me a check I'm bidding on that.
BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL!

dean pearson
09-24-2012, 12:16 AM
What a nice Car! Always a pleasure to look at.
Your the man Matthew!

Dean.

Roscomacaw
09-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Nice car - great presentation. It's not mine and it never will be. And while I respect someone else's choices, the more I look at this one, the more I have a problem with the chromed fender skirts. They're certainly "flashy", but in this case they actually detract from the lines that skirts usually enhance. Of course, that's JUST IMHO. Had I hit the lottery last week, there's no way it wouldn't be mine in 8 days!

TX Rebel
09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
It is already past Kurt's guesstimate. I would guess $17K even in today's weak market for a nice original, well accessorized car. Those skirts can always be painted over. For just a wee bit more than the coupe will bring, you could have a beautiful, turn-key '51 rag top w/V8, p/s, air & auto- see www.Studebakersite.com

mbstude
09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
The skirts are actually stainless, and easily removable. I only had them on for the pictures.. I'm not crazy about them either.

Chris Pile
09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I would guess it will go over $22,500. It's very nice - and needs nothing. You could drive it anywhere.

Bordeaux Daytona
09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Aww. I think Heidi is going to miss the car too. Hope it goes to a good home.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/bullet_ebay030_zps5ad99f3b.jpg

deco_droid
09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, I would say $19k-$21k final bid range. Don't know if that exceeds the reserve, but that's my guess. Hey, is that bullet prop a vintage piece or new? I found a site that sells repros. Not sure if I want one yet though...

mbstude
09-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmmm, I would say $19k-$21k final bid range. Don't know if that exceeds the reserve, but that's my guess. Hey, is that bullet prop a vintage piece or new? I found a site that sells repros. Not sure if I want one yet though...

Your guess is pretty close to what the reserve is.

The prop is an original. I've got a piece of wire on the backside to keep it from spinning; I don't trust the 60 year old bearing. I used a repop bullet to mount it.. An NOS bullet without a screw hole goes with the car.

If it does sell, I'll certainly miss it. But there will be an empty garage space that I'll be tempted to fill. <grin>

deco_droid
09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey, I just noticed -- is that a standard Champion steering wheel or something else? I don't think I've seen a black horn button on these cars before...

mbstude
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
The wheel is original, but the horn button should have a red blackground. The black is what I had laying around..

studegary
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice car and nice presentation.
You never mention that the model is a three passenger coupe. Business coupe is just the common name that has been applied to these.
I find the most interesting/unusual thing is the automatic transmission. It makes me wonder what the initial intended use of the car was.
Your one eBay question asks the location of the car. Among the first things in the listing is "item location".

Doug M
09-24-2012, 03:57 PM
The black horn botton I beleave is 56

Roscomacaw
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
The black-backround button did indeed debut in 1956 - again, on low level trimmed cars. That black edition is exactly the same as the '50-'51 Deluxe button except for the backround color (metallic red for '50-'51 - and BTW, the many "gold" ones that are out there? They've just lost the red tint thru fading.) This custom 51 should have a chromed, metal-faced button that has a simple lazy S inside a pentagon frame ("crest" shape, if you will). For 1952, the same basic button graced Custom models as well.
Studebaker got their money's worth with that black-background button of the '56 models. It served (on some models) into the last of truck production in '64.

C.C.
09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
33K And I've a solid quarter.

jbwhttail
09-24-2012, 09:48 PM

just my guess

mbstude
09-24-2012, 09:51 PM
The black-backround button did indeed debut in 1956 - again, on low level trimmed cars. That black edition is exactly the same as the '50-'51 Deluxe button except for the backround color (metallic red for '50-'51 - and BTW, the many "gold" ones that are out there? They've just lost the red tint thru fading.) This custom 51 should have a chromed, metal-faced button that has a simple lazy S inside a pentagon frame ("crest" shape, if you will). For 1952, the same basic button graced Custom models as well.
Studebaker got their money's worth with that black-background button of the '56 models. It served (on some models) into the last of truck production in '64.

If that's the case, I have a NOS correct horn button for the car. I thought the black plastic one looked a bit better.

jclary
09-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I have no guess for the sale price. There is a certain sadness, for me, seeing this car being sold. If I could write the story...Tom would be cured, and driving this car down the road with a grin from ear to ear. Knowing that is not possible...I wish, somehow it would remain with Matthew.

I hope it finds a home where it will continue to build upon a deserving legacy.

mbstude
09-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I have no guess for the sale price. There is a certain sadness, for me, seeing this car being sold. If I could write the story...Tom would be cured, and driving this car down the road with a grin from ear to ear. Knowing that is not possible...I wish, somehow it would remain with Matthew.

I hope it finds a home where it will continue to build upon a deserving legacy.

Well said John, and thanks for the kind words. The reserve is high enough that I don't think it'll go anywhere. But then again, we may be surprised. Tom's wife Maureen has zero interest in owning a Studebaker, but has kept the car because of the attachment that Tom had with it, and the fact that I am here to maintain and drive it. She fully supported and encouraged his eccentric take on the Studebaker hobby, and this car was a big part of that.

I will say that if this car does sell.. It'll be harder for me to watch it leave than any of my own Studes that I've sold. This little coupe is a special one, for sure. Some of my happiest moments with Tom were either working on this car, or when we'd put him in the passenger seat and go cruising around. At times like that, he couldn't have been any happier.

Reality is, I don't plan on staying in Fayetteville forever, and when I do go elsewhere, there isn't anyone else that could take care of the car. It's better that it goes to someone that'll enjoy it, and appreciate and understand the history that goes with it.

Hey, at least I get to keep the pretty translucent red steering wheel that Tom had the Schrocks cast for it. <grin>

JimC
09-25-2012, 12:35 AM
I hope someone worthy of a car of this caliber gets it. If I only had the time and resources, this car would come back home to Nebraska.

Best of luck on the auction. No matter what it sells for, it's going to be an incredible bargain.

deco_droid
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
I have seen a couple of nice bulletnose cars go for $15 - 17k so with all the extras this one has, $20k would be a decent price if there's any buyers interested. The market isn't exactly great (took me a loooong time to sell my 66 fastback) but if there's enough people skimming ebay for cars these days, maybe they'll get lucky and find a good home for it...

jimmijim8
09-25-2012, 09:30 PM
That rag top is nice. Room in my garage. jimmijim
It is already past Kurt's guesstimate. I would guess $17K even in today's weak market for a nice original, well accessorized car. Those skirts can always be painted over. For just a wee bit more than the coupe will bring, you could have a beautiful, turn-key '51 rag top w/V8, p/s, air & auto- see www.Studebakersite.com

Corvanti
09-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Matthew, i'll go with $19,510.01 ;)

ever since i saw the pics of you getting it ready and driving to JAX with Tom, i've thought that was the "coolest" looking bulletnose i'd seen! :!:

and wished i had the $ to purchase it if it was ever available. i'd keep it til i was no longer chained to these "earthly bonds".

unfortunately, i don't think i can bid that high! :( but may give it my best shot...

dean pearson
09-29-2012, 08:02 PM
The wheel is original, but the horn button should have a red blackground. The black is what I had laying around..

WHAT??? You mean its not perfect?
Sure looks like it is to me, I love that car.

Dean.

mbstude
09-29-2012, 08:36 PM
It's not a perfect car, nor have I ever claimed it to be. It's a 45,000 (or so) mile original car that had a paint job 20 years ago, and NOS chrome and accessories added since. It's not even "restored". <grin>

It just passed $15K with a new bidder and a full day left. I'm in shock, the darn thing might just sell.

I took it out tonight and drove around with the dog for about an hour. It's the perfect cruiser for when you want to take your time and enjoy the ride. If this thing goes to a new home, I'm sure gonna miss it.

mbstude
09-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Yet another new bidder joined in. She ends tonight, at 9 PM eastern. Maybe it'll be an entertaining show!

Corvanti
09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
condolences for her not making your reserve (or congratulations to be able to drive her a little longer)! :)

Studedude
09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow. As special as that car is, I really expected the bidding to go higher.

At least, it remains in a special place, with special folks caring for it.

For the sentimental attachment involved with this car, I think they should hold out for what they think it's worth to them.

Somebody else will see the other, more tangible value sometime in the future, if they decide to make another run at selling it.

Very special car, indeed!

Good job, Matt, keep up the good work in looking out for the family's best interest!

mbstude
09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
That was shocking entertainment. I did not expect the car to go anywhere near that high, but it is what it is.

It didn't meet reserve, but was very close. I sent an offer to the highest bidder, so we'll see what happens.

What a good show!

TX Rebel
09-30-2012, 11:13 PM
You never know what a car will do on auction. Run it again & it could bring $2K more or less than this time. Notice the spread between the first time & second time final bid prices on the Packard Hawk in AZ that recently sold, for example. The black one I listed sold off-ebay for substantially more than the final bid price. You should be able to negotiate a deal between the higher bidders and maybe another non-bidding buyer or 2 to reach a deal that realistically reflects the quality & desirability of Tom's car.

studegary
10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Sixteen bidders, but between two bidders after $16K and they both bid in the last minute. I would contact the two of them and ask if they are willing to meet your reserve (whatever that is).

Roscomacaw
10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I think you ought to just smile and take it out for a long drive again.

mbstude
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I think you ought to just smile and take it out for a long drive again.

That has been the plan, but it's been raining non stop for a couple of days now. It'll probably take a week for it all to dry up once it stops coming down, but once the roads are dry..

I'm tempted to drive it to Nashville in two weeks for their meet. Biggest issue is not being able to plug in a GPS. And, well, I don't know as though I want to go mountain climbing in a Champion automatic.

rockne10
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Mountain climbing should not be an issue, Matt, just use the low range when descending. And, if you want to run the GPS, just stash a 12-volt battery under the package shelf and wire it to a power plug. Ran a CB for many years in the '51 that way. Even a small motorcycle or lawn tractor battery will suffice.

deco_droid
10-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Hey, with $19,975 my range was correct! Yeehaw, what do I win?

And by the way, if the bids were close to what they want to get for it, I would almost pull some of the rare parts and sell those separately before relisting. You pulled the red wheel already, may as well pull some of the other extras that you would most likely be able to get a good price for on their own. It's a nice car, but sometimes cars that are over personalized can be a tougher sell...

Drummerboy
10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
That has been the plan, but it's been raining non stop for a couple of days now. It'll probably take a week for it all to dry up once it stops coming down, but once the roads are dry..

I'm tempted to drive it to Nashville in two weeks for their meet. Biggest issue is not being able to plug in a GPS. And, well, I don't know as though I want to go mountain climbing in a Champion automatic.

Hi Matt

Some info on 6 volts/pos ground and GPS here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/gps-6-volt-cars-302726.html