Engine build and two speed axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine build and two speed axle

Hello, my name is Jeremy.I am new to the forum and club as well. I own a 2r17 in very good original shape. It has a 245 inline 6 cylinder,great motor, just a little under powered. I am exploring the possibility of building the motor to run a little stronger. I saw a YouTube video featuring a Australian gentleman with an old Studebaker car, and he built a high performance engine out of the old flathead. It looked great and seem to give him some more horsepower. I would like to get some advice on sourcing the parts for engine like that one. Also, I either need a 5 speed transmission or a two speed rear axle. I have a custom sawmill operation, and I want to use the truck as a rolling advertisement.

Thank you, Jeremy

Almost all of the dual Carb., High Comp. Finned head, split Exhaust Flathead "hop up" items you see are the Champion 169 cid small Six, there is very little out there for the Big 6.

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum. You can join us at the top of these pages for a 1st. time discount and begin receiving "Turning Wheels" Monthly SDC Publication which will contain a lot of good info including Studebaker Vendors with all available parts in stock. Some of them can also be found at:
    http://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome, Jeremy,

The aftermarket intake manifolds, high compression heads are nearly impossible to find, so you need to make your own or have someone who knows how help. The usual DIY hop-up tricks; dual carbs, dual exhaust, milling the head, electronic ignition, will give a few more horsepower.

Two speed rear axles are geared very low and very much lower. The 5-speed overdrive truck transmissions are usually about 18% overdrive. Be aware there are also 5-speeds with direct top gear which won't change your highway speed at all.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Welcome, Jeremy,

The aftermarket intake manifolds, high compression heads are nearly impossible to find, so you need to make your own or have someone who knows how help. The usual DIY hop-up tricks; dual carbs, dual exhaust, milling the head, electronic ignition, will give a few more horsepower.

Two speed rear axles are geared very low and very much lower. The 5-speed overdrive truck transmissions are usually about 18% overdrive. Be aware there are also 5-speeds with direct top gear which won't change your highway speed at all.

jack vines
        Wow, it looks like speeding up the old truck is going to be a real trick. Would a V8 and transmission from a donor truck be an option?

Comment

Many Stude trucks originally equipped with 6-cylinder engines have been converted to Stude V8s, as it can be done with factory parts. The V8 became available in Stude's big trucks in 1954 and in pickups in 1955. The job is much easier if you have a complete 54-64 V8 parts truck to: (1) use as a template as to where to drill holes and mount stuff, and (2) get parts from. All Stude V8s have the same external dimensions, so the engine could come from any year Stude car or truck.

Another option might be to investigate the installation of a Brownie auxiliary transmission. It would not be cheap to do, but would give you several OD ratios. It might also be possible to adapt a much more modern rear axle to your truck, though none would be a drop in. Again, it would cost something to cut down a later axle to fit your truck.

You might also consider posting your question here, as many truck owners have confronted your dilemma:
          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I have found a Dana 70hd out of a '77 dodge framed motorhome is a direct replacement for my '48 M-16 Timken axle. The Dana 70 has a better range of gears to choose from. I don't know about your particular application but take your time and search the wrecking yards. http://www.gearvendors.com/ is another option, it is an inline auxillary transmission. Neal

Comment

The other thing of which to be aware is the M17 came geared low because the Commander six is a low-output engine. Gearing it higher with an overdrive 5-speed or a Dana 70 rear axle will lower the cruising RPMs on the flat, but it will take the same number of RPMs as before to pull a hill or pull a load, regardless of the rear axle ratio. You'll be downshifting more often and spending more time in the lower gears on hills. Life is about tradeoffs.

Agree, the gearvendors overdrive is a wonderful unit. It's just not very CASO-friendly. The last installation I did came in at $4500, by the time the crossmember, brackets, new driveshafts, speedo cable, controls were all built and tested. Here's their pricing page http://www.gearvendors.com/prices.html

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM.
              PackardV8

Comment

It looks like I am going to look for a donor truck with a V8. My truck is in awesome condition plus it looks cool. When I drive the truck it usually generates new clients. Did most bigger trucks have the 259 V8? And, did the V8 trucks come with higher gearing? I want to be able to cruise at 55mph.

Comment

Yes, after 1955, most trucks came with a 259 or 289. Look here for which engine was available in what year.

Some years, 259 was standard and 289 was optional. And yes, the V8s came with SOMEWHAT better axle gearing -- but not much better -- on the big trucks. And they could be had with a 5-speed OD, but it's only about an 18% RPM reduction. I have a 4E40 with a 289, 5-speed OD, and two-speed rear axle. The ratios are 6.61 and 9.09 --slow and slower. It'll make 60 if you push it, but I wouldn't call it cruising. About the best ratio you're gonna find in the original V8 big truck axles is about 5.80.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Keep in mind that even if you can power it and gear it to do today's highway speeds...it won't stop from those speeds.

Upgrading the brakes would be tough to do and expensive.

Best to enjoy the truck for what it is....beautiful, but relatively low speed.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I can't answer the question as your situation,
                      but very soon I'll have answers to some of what's been said...

My 1950 StudeBus is a 2R16A that has had a 259 swapped in, but she still has a 4 speed.
                      She has also got the optional (for a R16) BIG brakes.
                      These were standard on 2R17s before the change to the dual rear wheel cylinders.
                      They are assisted by a heavy duty HydroVac booster. The rear drums are 4" by 15"!!!

'Nelly' currently weighs just under 9,000 pounds~

I've been told by those who drove her years ago that she stops as well as a modern truck-
                      like the one in the backround.
                      I'll know soon enough as to the truth in that.

I need to see if I have contact information for the local mill operator who uses his Transtar (and Champ) in his day to day business. I'll bet he'd have some ideas for you...

Oh- welcome to the Studebaker World!!!

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

So, did you replace everything chunk and all, or did you just do the internal gears? I know someone that has a broad array of old Dana gear axles. What about the hubs?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
                          I have found a Dana 70hd out of a '77 dodge framed motorhome is a direct replacement for my '48 M-16 Timken axle.
                          Originally posted by dowlenj View Post
                          So, did you replace everything chunk and all, or did you just do the internal gears?
                          I know someone that has a broad array of old Dana gear axles. What about the hubs?
                          Yes- please tell us EVERYTHING about your Dana 70 swap.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've got a 53 232 V8 that needs a rebuild for $100 if you want it before I part it out...
                            Are you going to the Middle Tennessee show?
                            I'm in Shelbyville.

Comment

I've got a 53 232 V8 that needs a rebuild for $100 if you want it before I part it out...
                              Are you going to the Middle Tennessee show?
                              I'm in Shelbyville.
                              got a spare OD tranny to go behind it $75.... came from a running car.

Comment

Working...
                              X