C Cab step ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Cab step ideas

I am looking for some ideas on how to make the step in my C cab pickup look nice and be care free.

I painted it with some flex stone paint and even covered it with a clear coat but it chips and looks nasty. I put small floor mats on it and fastened them with snaps but they eventually became unsightly. I considered getting them carpeted but envision the same problem with the floor mats in a few years.

I'm considering taking it down and having the Line-X that I used for the bed sprayed in. It will be a little pricey but I figure it will stay nice forever. It will have to be black though as they do not do Line-X in colors. There are other brands that do colors but I've known them to chip and peel. Line-X does not do that.

Anyone have any ideas and can you post pictures of what you have done? Have you had it long enough to determine durability?

Click image for larger version

Name:	step 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1736486
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
    I am looking for some ideas on how to make the step in my C cab pickup look nice and be care free.

I painted it with some flex stone paint and even covered it with a clear coat but it chips and looks nasty. I put small floor mats on it and fastened them with snaps but they eventually became unsightly. I considered getting them carpeted but envision the same problem with the floor mats in a few years.

I'm considering taking it down and having the Line-X that I used for the bed sprayed in. It will be a little pricey but I figure it will stay nice forever. It will have to be black though as they do not do Line-X in colors. There are other brands that do colors but I've known them to chip and peel. Line-X does not do that.

Anyone have any ideas and can you post pictures of what you have done? Have you had it long enough to determine durability?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17797[/ATTACH]
    Get some diamond plate aluminum, cut to fit the steps and bolt 'm down.

Comment

The diamond plate aluminum will scuff and look bad after a while too. I also don't like it as well as paint, but that's just my opinion. When I get in or out of my brother's C cab I just don't use the step.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Commander55 View Post
        Get some diamond plate aluminum, cut to fit the steps and bolt 'm down.
        I thought about that but if you enlarge my picture and check it out, the worst part of the scuffing is towards the top. A diamond plate would not help it there. And my legs are not long enough to bypass the step.

If anyone has painted the step with the Line-X, I would love to see what it looks like.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

ANYTHING you do to the step is going to look bad after a while.
          Whatever you put on it, get enough of it and go over it regularly and touch it up.
          Anything spray on would be easiest.
          Glue on or stick on would look like doo doo real quick.
          Ain't nothin last forever.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Just asking, what makes Line-X superior to RhinoLiner, Scorpion, Bullhide and other two-part epoxy commercial bedliner systems? In many years of using several different brands, I find the biggest difference is the installer. The care they take in preparing the surface makes all the difference in adhesion and resistance to chippng. If the installer uses the hot system of spraying, the differences between brands are very minimal.

The hot spray Line-X finish seems to be the most abrasive, almost like sandpaper. The hot spray Rhino is slightly less abrasive and the cold application system used by some RhinoLiner installers gives a much smoother, thicker finish.

Scorpion systems can use any color to match the existing finish.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

i know some guys that can do it in Teak!
              StudeRick & Johna
              Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
              1957 Silver Hawk
              1963 Avanti
              1961 Lark Wagon
              1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I put roll on bed liner from the local parts store on the steps of my '59 truck, as well as the entire floor pan of my '58 sedan. I don't have any pics, but the stuff wore like steel and after several thousands of miles, it still looked just as good as the day I put it on. If you could get bed liner colored to match your paint, that's what I would go with.
                Last edited by mbstude; 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Jon, SEM makes a spray on bedliner in black but also a neutral color that you can tint with your paint. I used it to do the inside of my cab and bed on my '56 C Cab. It looks good and has held up.
                  Bish
                  sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                  1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                  1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                  1963 8E28 GSA order
                  1963 8E5 SOLD!
                  1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

And my legs are not long enough to bypass the step.

Sounds like you need to lower the truck.
                    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Try clear bra, it seem pretty durable for stone chips and will look like nothing is there.

Comment

On a truck as nice as yours, you should consider the ultimate custom touches. (consult with people who do custom work, and you'll get creative ideas). Go see a custom body guy and make the step area 'removable'. Chrome the entire thing and put the 'liner' coating of your choice on just the raised areas. You did ask.....

Comment

I have two C-cab pickups. A 2R10 and a 2R6. My feet never touch the steps (I guess it has to do with being 6'3"). <G>

Comment

Working...
                          X