GT Hawk transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: GT Hawk transmission problem

Hi All - I just got a 63 GT Hawk with 4 speed manual trans. Previous owner has said that the engine rear main seal has been replaced along with the clutch. The problem is that it won't shift into reverse unless you quickly pop/slam it into gear or else it will grind and not go into gear. I have started just shutting the engine down, putting it into reverse and with clutch in start the engine. Obviously this isn't right. Would the clutch replacement be the cause or is more likely that the trans has a problem. I have literally had the car for 2 days so I haven't had alot of time to figure it out. Any advise would be appreciated. JimO
    1963 Avanti R2
    1951 Champion Convertible
    1953 Commander
    1957 Golden Hawk

Clutch adjustment?? I think the book calls for about an inch and a half of free play on the pedal.

Comment

If your car still has the original shifter & linkage I would highly reccomend installing an aftermarket Hurst shifter. After thousands of miles and many years of use, your original shifter and linkage is likely worn out.

Comment

If he lost the dowel pins holding the bell housing in alignment with the block, then a miss alignment will cause the very same problems you describe. It could be a simple adjustment. Often the clutch pivot has a piece of spring steel that cracks and you cant adjust things till it's fixed. Also there is a coupling to the bell housing release lever that is a sleeve with two clevis pins through it. That piece wears, and the pins break inside without showing on the outside. Then the release lever inside the bell housing that pushes on the throw out bearing has two fingers that engage the bearing. They are splined to the shaft, and lightly brazed. Often the thin braze junction breaks, and the fingers rotate on the shaft, instead of pushing on the throw out bearing. Hence, you adjust the free play, and it still doesn't work properly, because it is slipping (or may be slipping).
        These are the typical things a non Studebaker mechanic doesn't know to look for.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To: n29we,---- Also, a damaged pilot bushing--or input shaft nose can cause 'drag' on the input shaft where it should ride free. (This is a more common problem on older vehicles than folks think...and it
          can drive You nuts till You find it!!)

Comment

Working...
          X