PDA

View Full Version : Ignition: Setting the timing on a 170

9echo
09-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I want to adjust the timeing on '48 Champion. I have loosened the screw clamp at the base of the distributor, but cannot get the thing to rotate.
Is there something else to do or is it just stuck? If it is stuck, any suggestions on how to break it loose. I shot it with BP Blaster last night.
This distributor is the one on the left side of page 91 in the parts catalog.
Thanks for your help.

Bud
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM
More likely than not, the distributor is stuck in the block. It should move freely, but sometimes sludge and varnish will cause the base of the distributor to stick and refuse to move. Spraying carburetor cleaner around the base of the distributor while trying to twist the distributor will usually free it up. Bud

9echo
09-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks, Bud.
It worked. My timing was several degrees slow. It is running very nicely now.

Bud
09-21-2012, 08:20 AM
You're welcome. Bud

tbirdtbird
09-21-2012, 09:40 AM
just for the record if someone else reads this thread and is having a problem: while the above usually works, I once had a distrib. that would not move no matter what. After trying everything short of dynamite, I grabbed my air powered needle scaler and directed the needles at the base of the distrib. for 5 min. The vibration finally loosened it up. Once I free up such a distrib, I usually pull it partway out and coat the base machined surface with never-seize