1957 Studebaker V8 air cleaner mount needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Studebaker V8 air cleaner mount needed

Hello, I am searching for the air cleaner mounting bracket for a 1957 Studebaker President V8 with a Stromberg WW 2 bl carburetor. I couldn't find the part number for this part, it's the spring steel bridge with a 1/4 20 stud in the top center, With two ears

which snaps into the top of the air horn. In turn the air cleaner fits on the top of the carb with the 1/4 stud petruding though and then secured with a wing nut.
    Hope you can help, car was apart a long time and this part was lost.
    Thank you
    M
    Ng
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Sounds like you have the wrong carb. on your 57, 57 2 bld were back draft style and used a special back draft air cleaner , got 3-4 in the shop now.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      Sounds like you have the wrong carb. on your 57.
      I was thinking the same thing~ 'cept I call them 'rear draft' carbs.

I might have a picture or two I can post in the morning...
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've also heard side draft. The dry filter for those is neat and requires both the air horn clamping strap and a little angled piece (90 degrees) that holds it to a valve cover bolt. I have one that says Studebaker on it.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hello, I believe the side intake or rear draft style was used on 1957 Commander and Champion models. On the President models the air cleaner mount was on the top. If you look on pages 61 and 62 of the Studebaker chassis manual you will see what I mean.
          Thanks again for all of your help!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

I'm betting it was used on 2 bbl C/K models (not Champions, as they were 6 cyl). Are you dealing with a sedan or a coupe/HT?

Comment

Hello, The car I'm working on is a 1957 President 4 door sedan with v8 and automatic trans.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Shouldn't a President have a 4 bbl?
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                  Hello, I believe the side intake or rear draft style was used on 1957 Commander and Champion models. On the President models the air cleaner mount was on the top. If you look on pages 61 and 62 of the Studebaker chassis manual you will see what I mean. Thanks again for all of your help!
                  The picture you are refering to is of a four barrel. I have pictures of what you should have, but Photobucket has not been nice to me these last few days. I am working on it.

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                  Shouldn't a President have a 4 bbl?
                  Only if it is a Classic, or if it was ordered that way on the other Presidnent models.
                  ('Vice' Pres, Broadmoor, and two door sedan)
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I asked our illustrious technical editor something along those lines at the races, I believe, and the 2bbl was standard on all engines. The 4 bbl was the option. Mr. Palma will correct me, if I'm wrong. The sedans probably didn't need the side draft breather for a 2 bbl because there was more room under the hood. Sorry for the confusion, 57pack.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                      I asked our illustrious technical editor something along those lines at the races, I believe, and the 2bbl was standard on all engines. The 4 bbl was the option. Mr. Palma will correct me, if I'm wrong. The sedans probably didn't need the side draft breather for a 2 bbl because there was more room under the hood. Sorry for the confusion, 57pack.
                      No, all "rear draft" type Stromberg WW Carbs. '53 to '58 on ALL models had the remote Air cleaner, and connection tube to the rear of the Carb. both Dry type and Oil Bath Type.

The simple answer to all of this confusion is, the '57 President ("W" Body? or modified "Y" Body) car of the OP, has either a '59 to '64 DOWNDRAFT Carb. and or Intake Manifold or complete Engine!

So it requires a '59 and later 2 Brl. Air Cleaner. Also it sounds like it is a '62-'64 type WW 6-128, 6-130, or 6-132 which is different from '59-'61 requiring a stud mount adapter and Air Cleaner.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich. I've seen both the Fram decal and the Studebaker decal on the dry 2bbl filters. I have both. Were they both correct or did different years use different decals?

Comment

I am not aware of any Air cleaner Decals that mentioned Studebaker, they are all the Mfg.'s: Fram or United.
                          See S.I. catalog Page 10 for Decals.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now I hafta take a picture (when the sun comes up). It's pretty. And I didn't find it in S.I. catalogue, either. It came on eBay, new old stock, supposedly. I even ran with the NOS filter that came with it for a couple of months until I realized modern is less restictive. I'd love your opinion. Thanks.

Comment

For Rich. Apparently this was NOS but I have no idea for which years.Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1675559

Comment

Working...
                              X