Limited Edition Hawk ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Edition Hawk ?

Been looking at some Studes in my area . What makes this a limited edition ?

Last edited by aarrggh; 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM.

The brass plaque on the dashboard. In the advertising for 1961 Hawks, it was stated that each new owner would be sent a dash plaque proclaiming it a "Limited Edition" 1961 Hawk. My mother actually bought a new 1961 Hawk and was indeed sent a dash plaque with her name engraved on it. The number - whatever it was- had no relation to a serial number and were probably assigned sequentially. She bought her car late in the model year - August 1961 - but it still was only a 3 digit number. Probably most dealers didn't bother to send in the paperwork. I still have that plaque lurking in a drawer someplace. So, to answer the question - "Limited Edition" was just a promotional gimmick.

Comment

Thanks , I learn something new everyday .

Comment

"What makes this a Limited Edition?"

I was going to say, "Lack of headlight rims."
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

All 1961 Hawks were "limited edition", when you think about it. They didn't build very many.

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Im going to go and look at this car. I live pretty close. Maybe I can get a good deal on it

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
              All 1961 Hawks were "limited edition", when you think about it. They didn't build very many.

Dave Bonn
              '54 Champion Starliner
              3929. but that is not that low of a number for production, especially for Studebaker. There were only 1772 1964 Hawks (part of a year).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Limited edition means that it's the only one that he has.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If the MN license plate on that hawk was the last current one it had, its been off the road a long time. Appears to be the style used from ~'71 to '73. The yellow one on the seat inside the car was used from '68-'70. Given no sticker in the corner of the front plate, does not look like it got renewed after 1971.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I can remember the 1962 GT Hawk that my dad bought new having a "Studebaker GT Hawk Expressly Built for............" plaque on the glove box door. It was sent to him by Studebaker after the vehicle was registered with the company as a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                      Im going to go and look at this car. I live pretty close. Maybe I can get a good deal on it
                      Good luck ! He also has this one for sale . Maybe you can get a two for one deal . .

Comment

I took a look at these cars yesterday and was surprised at how many Studebakers the guy has. He has a beautiful silver R2 Avanti that I couldnt stop drooling over, a 1937 Dictator business coupe that looked like it was driven off the show room floor, a beautiful black 54' two door and other cars he was restoring plus a TON of parts. Apparently he is a fellow SDC member as well. His plans are to sell the two cars listed on Craigslist and a trailer full of parts this weekend at an all Studebaker swap meet in Wisconsin. The Hawk could be restored, but the one I have (even if it looks scary) is actually in better condition so I turned it down. Its great to know that there is a fellow Studebaker enthusiast just a few miles from where I live! Now only if I could remember his name.....

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                          I took a look at these cars yesterday and was surprised at how many Studebakers the guy has. He has a beautiful silver R2 Avanti that I couldnt stop drooling over, a 1937 Dictator business coupe that looked like it was driven off the show room floor, a beautiful black 54' two door and other cars he was restoring plus a TON of parts. Apparently he is a fellow SDC member as well. His plans are to sell the two cars listed on Craigslist and a trailer full of parts this weekend at an all Studebaker swap meet in Wisconsin. The Hawk could be restored, but the one I have (even if it looks scary) is actually in better condition so I turned it down. Its great to know that there is a fellow Studebaker enthusiast just a few miles from where I live! Now only if I could remember his name.....
                          Ed Bauer? He is also a forum member.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Ed Bauer sounds about right. Does he work at a speedshop?

Comment

Working...
                            X