PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker museum

RICKJ
09-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Just visited the Studebaker museum in South Bend. Great experience !! Only wish it were bigger!
Also went to Studebaker International and took the "tour" of the warehouse. Staggering amount of NOS stuff.

Everyone should do these tours once .

Great job !

Rick

Peanut
09-18-2012, 10:58 PM
I dropped by during the international meet on my way to Montreal this summer. Great experience, except that the Muppet Movie '51 had been moved to make way for another exhibit. :(

Avantidon
09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Actually the Muppet car is on loan to the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown PA through the end of October 2012. After that it will be home in South Bend and hopefully on its way to restoration. It has been a hit with the kids.

JBOYLE
09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Great experience, except that the Muppet Movie '51 had been moved to make way for another exhibit. :(

If you're looking for a beatup bulletnose with furry looking guys inside, our local chapter has a few we can loan the museum. :)

studegary
09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree about it needing to be larger. Before the current building, I notified them of a VERY large, modern, masonry, one floor building with a lot of daylight lighting, walking distance to a railroad station, a mile from the Interstate, etc. for free. The offer was ignored by the SNM. Another museum grabbed it up and is doing great in it.

Chris_Dresbach
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Everyone should do these tours once .

Rick

The more the merrier!!

Welcome
09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I agree about it needing to be larger.<<<

Wasn’t the new SNM designed & constructed to have up to 2 more floors for future expansion … OR… was that just the "snow-job du jour" going around back when I took this pic.? Will you SNM Board of Trustee Members on this Forum please confirm or deny that???
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/MVC-001S_zps3d128f4f.jpg

Peanut
09-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Actually the Muppet car is on loan to the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown PA through the end of October 2012. After that it will be home in South Bend and hopefully on its way to restoration. It has been a hit with the kids.

Well, I'm glad it was having a good time! :!!:

When you say "hopefully on its way to restoration" does that mean they've already raised enough money to spruce her up? That paint job will be a doozy to pull off. I wonder if any of the original artists are still around and willing to lend a hand...

Welcome
09-21-2012, 07:35 AM
>>>When you say "hopefully on its way to restoration" does that mean they've already raised enough money to spruce her up? That paint job will be a doozy to pull off.<<<

If/when it gets 'restored' would you like to be the first to drive it??? :D

(of course the driver was in the trunk while they were shooting the movie:rolleyes: )

stupak
09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Gary: The offer of the 'free' building and the SNM's refusal of such and the current use of it would make a very 'interesting' article for Turniung Wheels. You up to it? stupak

studegary
09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Wasn’t the new SNM designed & constructed to have up to 2 more floors for future expansion … OR… was that just the "snow-job du jour" going around back when I took this pic.? Will you SNM Board of Trustee Members on this Forum please confirm or deny that???
]

Just today, I spoke with an SNM official about expansion. I suggested going up. He said that was not possible, but they may be able to extend out in one of two directions.

studegary
09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Gary: The offer of the 'free' building and the SNM's refusal of such and the current use of it would make a very 'interesting' article for Turniung Wheels. You up to it? stupak

I think that this subject is pretty much water over the dam/under the bridge now. I spoke to an SNM official about this today in order to clear up the subject. That is enough.
The majority of what I submit to Turning Wheels is not used, so I don't bother anymore. In any case, I see no benefit to the current SNM of putting this information in Turning Wheels. The SNM needs all of the support that they can muster.

Bill Pressler
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I think that this subject is pretty much water over the dam/under the bridge now. I spoke to an SNM official about this today in order to clear up the subject. That is enough.
The majority of what I submit to Turning Wheels is not used, so I don't bother anymore. In any case, I see no benefit to the current SNM of putting this information in Turning Wheels. The SNM needs all of the support that they can muster.

I love the SNM, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there was more room for vehicles.

cycledog
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I was there in August and had a great time. Then went up to Kalamazoo to the Gilmore museum. Both a must see if you are in the area.

studegary
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree about it needing to be larger. Before the current building, I notified them of a VERY large, modern, masonry, one floor building with a lot of daylight lighting, walking distance to a railroad station, a mile from the Interstate, etc. for free. The offer was ignored by the SNM. Another museum grabbed it up and is doing great in it.

Some additional information -
The building is 240,000 square feet.
The museum that took the free building had 75,000 visitors in 2011 and 350,000 since they opened there in 2003.
Think what the SNM could do with that space and a fraction of that number of visitors paying admission.

EDIT: I just checked. The SNM had 36,765 visitors for 2011. I commend them. That is better than I expected.

Welcome
09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
>>>I just checked. The SNM had 36,765 visitors for 2011. I commend them. That is better than I expected.

To put that figure in some perspective …

IF …1,225 was the attendance figure for the SDC’s 2012 International Meet week; the Studebaker National Museum hosted an equivalent of 30 SDC International Meets …last year alone!!!

…OR…

It is the visitor equivalent of each & every SDC Member in the world making a pilgrimage back to the Studebaker National Museum at least 3 TIMES …last year alone!!!

sochocki
09-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Why the secrecy about the location and occupant of the "free" building in question? I think we all would like to see this building (and who occupies it) and judge for ourselves it's relative merits. Doesn't sound like it's in the South Bend area...and I think that was an important factor in choosing a location. I'm from the area, and I can't think of any auto museum around South Bend that would draw those numbers! Anyway, I think the SNM is beautiful, and deserves to be in the city that was home to the corporation from 1852 to 1963. Thanks for the info

studegary
09-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Why the secrecy about the location and occupant of the "free" building in question? I think we all would like to see this building (and who occupies it) and judge for ourselves it's relative merits. Doesn't sound like it's in the South Bend area...and I think that was an important factor in choosing a location. I'm from the area, and I can't think of any auto museum around South Bend that would draw those numbers! Anyway, I think the SNM is beautiful, and deserves to be in the city that was home to the corporation from 1852 to 1963. Thanks for the info

There is no secrecy. I just refused the request to put the information in Turning Wheels. I still do not believe that it belongs there. I did submit the information to the SNM, both at the time the building was available for free and since this thead/topic has been running.

This all took place in about 2002 (or slightly before). The SNM was still in the garage building and looking for a suitable home. Several locations were examined since the City of South Bend was not fullfilling their end of their contract. There were many locations proposed, including in other parts of Indiana and in other states like Pennsylvania. I happened upon this large (240,000 square feet), one floor, building in good condition that could be obtained by a non-profit for free. It was a NABISCO printing plant. The building was declared obsolete for their purposes and offered where they could get a tax write off. The building is in Beacon, NY within walking distance of the train station for MetroNorth and about one mile from an exit of I 84. DIA took the free building and has a very successful art musuem in there now.

I also think that the current SNM is beautiful and is now well run. I also agreed that it would be nice if the SNM was larger.

clonelark
09-29-2012, 04:02 AM
I just came back from visiting several museums,and I thought the new Museum was very small compared to what they had. Saw the 47 Woody wagon being replaced by the #9 Avanti in the show window.
The Gilmore museum was very impressive as was the Auburn Cord Duesenburg museum. Spent way too much time in Auburn Indiana visiting several museums and didn't get to see the Indy 500 museum.
Went to Kalamazoo Mi and Burlington Vermont NSRA events and was on a tour sponsored by Street Rodder magazine. Well worth doing.

Randy Ridenour
09-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Typically a building that has been declared obsolete has been done so for a reason and buildings with any age to them are very costly to repurpose. You also have to consider how much square footage the museum can afford to support financially (additional floor space equals added overhead expenses).

Randy

studegary
09-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Typically a building that has been declared obsolete has been done so for a reason and buildings with any age to them are very costly to repurpose. You also have to consider how much square footage the museum can afford to support financially (additional floor space equals added overhead expenses).

Randy

This building was not old. I believe that NABISCO was getting out of that phase of the business, at least there. A lot of companies have divested themselves of ancillary businesses that are not part of their core. They printed boxes there. They did not make any food products there. The boxes were not even folded and glued there.
DIA took the free building and moved in with the usual cleaning and painting and, I think, added air conditioning. The basic building is unchanged. I have been in the building both when it was NABISCO and now that it is the DIA musuem.
The building was/is divided into four sections. I figured that the SNM could move into one section and gradually grow into the other three sections.
It is unusual to get free land, let alone a free substantial building suited to the use that you want to put it to.

sochocki
10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
South Bend sure did drop the ball countless times regarding the Museum! I'm just glad the it was finally built after over 40 years! It's nice that its on the same "campus" with the No.Ind. Center for History, and the Copshaholm (JD Oliver) house museum. Museums seem to be a tricky things as far as success goes. South Bend couldn't make a go of the College Football Hall of Fame (and neither could King's Island in Ohio), and now it's moving to Atlanta! Anyway, there's not much left in South Bend (Studebaker-wise) without the museum!
There is no secrecy. I just refused the request to put the information in Turning Wheels. I still do not believe that it belongs there. I did submit the information to the SNM, both at the time the building was available for free and since this thead/topic has been running.

This all took place in about 2002 (or slightly before). The SNM was still in the garage building and looking for a suitable home. Several locations were examined since the City of South Bend was not fullfilling their end of their contract. There were many locations proposed, including in other parts of Indiana and in other states like Pennsylvania. I happened upon this large (240,000 square feet), one floor, building in good condition that could be obtained by a non-profit for free. It was a NABISCO printing plant. The building was declared obsolete for their purposes and offered where they could get a tax write off. The building is in Beacon, NY within walking distance of the train station for MetroNorth and about one mile from an exit of I 84. DIA took the free building and has a very successful art musuem in there now.

I also think that the current SNM is beautiful and is now well run. I also agreed that it would be nice if the SNM was larger.