PDA

View Full Version : Body: Removing rear top moulding, Golden Hawk

Steven Ayres
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Maybe I'm a little thick, but I'm just not getting the procedure outlined in the shop manual. What's a good, practical method for removing the rear top moulding on the Golden Hawk without racking it up? Do I need a special tool?

Is it true that the retaining clips are not reusable, and if so are they (or a better substitute) available?

Thanks!

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'58H-K7 660

Welcome
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe I'm a little thick, but I'm just not getting the procedure outlined in the shop manual.<<<Thanks!

'58H-K7 660

Steven, which "Shop Manual" are you looking at? The '56 Golden Hawk is attached with different hardware than the '57 & '58 GHs.

(S)
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
some of them are just a stud that goes through a barrel clip that should never get removed from the body. They are very breakable and hard to find clip. some actually had a nut inside. The clips, and the clips on the mouldings are rare. If the moulding gets messed up, those are plentiful.

Steven Ayres
09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm looking at both the '56 manual and the '58 supplement.

58H-K7 660

Welcome
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm looking at both the '56 manual and the '58 supplement. Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
58H-K7 660

The '56 GH is held in place by Pal-nuts which must be completely removed through access holes from the INSIDE. The '57 & '58 GH can be removed from the OUTSIDE using typical flat trim tools made of plastic ...and a lot of care and a little luck! I've also heard that someone used wooden "shims" (the type available at home improvement stores) and drove several of them evenly under the moulding on a '57 GH.

Good Luck!!!:D

Steven Ayres
09-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Can anyone give me a clear idea of how the clips work and what they're made of? A pic would be wonderful.

Welcome
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Can anyone give me a clear idea of how the clips work and what they're made of? A pic would be wonderful.

Take a look in your 1956 Studebaker Shop Manual, BODY-SEDAN section, page 48, figure 130. It's similar enough to give you the idea!

Good Luck!!!;)

Steven Ayres
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks to all who replied. It turns out that the manuals really are misleading and more or less worthless for this.

Procedure: Removing top rear moulding, '58 Golden Hawk
(I hope someone can confirm whether the '57 uses the same clips and positions.)

The top rear moulding is held on by nine body clips and two pot-metal end trim pieces.

This can be done without touching the headliner if necessary, but it'll be easier if the rear of the headliner is down. Presumably you're intending to remove the rear glass anyway.

Remove the lower end trim pieces: Shoot some WD-40 at the pin points and carefully wedge underneath them. (Both of mine broke off, but they were pretty well cooked and I intend to replace them anyway.)

Using a small hook, pick out the remnants of the body sealer at the front edge.

The body clips rotate clockwise to release the moulding. DO NOT PRY UP, you'll only distort the rare clips and likely ruin the moulding. Proper downward bend in the clips is what keeps the moulding tight to the body.

The clip posts are likely rusty. Inside the car, apply some WD to each post you can reach and they'll rotate more easily.

Outside, tap in builder's shims as necessary to separate the moulding enough from the body to get your hook under there and feel for the clip. From the front of the moulding, grab with the hook and pull the end of the clip to the right; from the rear, pull left. You'll hear a pop when you're successful.

Here are some details of the clips:

Notice the rubber grommet on the post as a body seal. It's hard as rock now.

IMHO the engineering to keep water out of the body at the clip holes is pretty weak. I think it'll be a good idea to regularly inspect and refresh the sealer along the front edge of the moulding, especially on cars that spend significant time in the sun. Notice also that SP applied a bead of caulk along the top of the window rubber to limit water coming in from the rear. It doesn't look like enough to me. There was a lot of road dust and grit under there.

Hope this helps!

58H-K7 660

SN-60
09-21-2012, 12:15 AM
some of them are just a stud that goes through a barrel clip that should never get removed from the body. They are very breakable and hard to find clip. some actually had a nut inside. The clips, and the clips on the mouldings are rare. If the moulding gets messed up, those are plentiful.

To: (S),------ Golden-Packard Hawk halo mouldings are PLENTIFUL ???????????????????????????????????

mbstude
09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
To: (S),------ Golden-Packard Hawk halo mouldings are PLENTIFUL ???????????????????????????????????

I've got 2 or 3 of them. Want one?

(S)
09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I have both styles of halo mouldings in stock, one is NOS and have had many others. I wish I had clips for them, last time I had to fab them up. Not factory, but it worked.