Texas Car Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Car Wars

Is anyone giving this program any viewing time? I watched it last night for the first and probably only time. The show did have a good demo for freeing up a old Packard straight eight that was locked up. Another part of the show I had difficulty believing that as the junkyard auctioned the different vehicles, they had not checked the vins on the vehicles of notice the on rust bucket 66 Mustang with replaced vin tags that did not match up with the hidden vin tag in the trunk. The crew that bought the Mustang shell for $650 did notice the vin issue, called in the cops and lost their investment in the cars. The show seems to be patterned a little too closely to one of their other shows Storage Wars "Yepppp" as Dave would say.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Yeah, I watched a couple of these over the weekend. You know what really stood out to me? The portrayal of almost everyone in the show as shysters doing the minimum work, covering up defects and duping potential customers into thinking cars are much better than they are. The effort to hide the bent valve in the Packard felt especially slimy to me. On the 2nd show, we saw them take three '55 Fairlanes and make one out of them, then the seller tells the buyer that "it's all original equipment except for the paint and upholstery." I have no respect for people who do business that way.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I also thought that most states have laws regarding the titling of these junk yard finds. I would think they would have to be marketed as "salvage" vehicles and have the term salvage on the title. The program gives one the idea that anything is fair game in Texas. Another show, Gas Monkey Garage, seems to play it fast and loose with the titles on vehicles. The quick flips always show the wad of cash, but you never see any title being given over. I also wonder about the mental acuity of some of the people selling the cars on Gas Monkey. Last night's episode had a guy selling a 74 Vette that had been stored in his garage for a long time. The car had some custom body work and different tail lights put in, but everything else looked to be in pretty good shape. Richard low balled him with $2500 and he countered with $2700 after contemplating it for about 5 minutes. I thought that was a ridiculously low price for the car. I know that I would not look at any of the cars that any of the crews from Texas car wars or Gas Monkey turn out. Those shows definitely need to have a "buyer beware" notification to all would be purchasers.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi,

Fast and Loud is interesting only because I can't believe how out of touch they always seem to be with the car-buying public. Those guys are constantly losing their assets at no reserve auctions and I tune in to see how badly the guy will lose his shirt. Last week he made a profit for a change; this week I think he lost something like $14K on lousy decisions. That, at least, may make some folks who think old cars are going to sell for enough to buy a new mansion re-think their positions.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I get pulled in to Fast N Loud. Dont know why. Just do. Probably because it is a car show that my wife doesnt mind watching. His business practices drive me up the walls. But I do like some of the cars that he puts out.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Watched the Texas Car Wars for the first and last time last night. Thought it was L-A-M-E. Fast and Loud also can't hold my in terest for more than 38 seconds. The only "car" program I watch is GEARZ. I do learn something everytime I watch that one. Of course, "My Classic Car" and "Passtime" are my two favorites all the time!!

Now let's talk about the glut of "Storage/Auction/Hunters/Wars programs....................... YUUUUUUUUUP! LOL!
            Frank Remlinger
            Detroit, Michigan
            SDC# A004602R

Comment

At least on Fast and Loud they show them losing money.Some shows in the past every car the sold they made money.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Another one I watch occasionally is Chop, Cut, Rebuild. I've managed to learn a few things about restorations from that show.
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

It seems every time I see Fast and Loud, they "have to" get a car or truck completely rebuilt in a week for auction. I just do not believe they can do the work required in that amount of time. At least not if it is done correctly. The price expectations also seem way high. But then I see that in many of the auto auctions seen on TV.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I watch a lot of these shows, but with the understanding that they are far removed from reality. I just enjoy them for the cars, and trying to judge if I think they're accurate. It's all fake, of course. The problem is, too many guys see thins and think it's really possible, and end up either cobbling cars and sticking it to people, or tearing into a car, finding out the reality, and then leaving an otherwise desired car to languish or get scrapped.

I just watched an episode of Counting Cars. The "shop manager" is yelling about needing to finish a $30K paintjob... then the camera pulls back and shows him standing in the paint booth wearing flip-flops! LOL

No, that's real. Puleease.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Ok...I have to throw my two cents worth in here...I agree with the last post regarding the reality of reality TV...I am happy to say I've recently acquired a 1956 Stude President to add to my collection. The restoration on the car was done out of the Rodriguez shop. Ritchie Holcomb and his dad Roger Holcomb have been building and painting cars for more than 60 years combined...They both painted the dash to make it look wood grained which is somewhat of a lost art these days. I am also very impressed with the motor work Ritchie did in restoring the original motor to a working running condition. Add a beautifully done interior and some new white walls and you'll see the smile on my face widen! I will be on episode 5 and giving props to my Studebaker heritage. Remember when you see what the car sells for that you remember my previous comment regarding "reality tv". I think it's a decent show, I know most of the shop members personally and I can attest to the work that was done on my car. guess my two cents turned into a dime

Comment

You can see pics of the pretty President in my album if interested

Comment

Working...
                        X