Vintage Air in Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Air in Lark

Anyone have experience installing a Vintage air Gen 1V in a 61 lark?
    StudeRick & Johna
    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1963 Avanti
    1961 Lark Wagon
    1963 Lark Daytona

That particular unit is quite big, within the confines of the 61 fresh air dash/windshield wiper are your better off with the Mini or the gen II if your willing to sacrifice most of the glove box storage space. Just my thoughts my project is so modified that it's really not a good example of fit in a stock situation. I believe there are some older posts of a 62 being done, or a 64 stock w vintage air.

My appologies, this read like mud. Late work nights, small ipod screen can make for an incoherent response.

That particular unit is quite big, (GenIV unit)
    The confines of the 61's fresh air valley, which houses the wiper arms, intrudes into the underdash area.
    Mounting a Mini or Compact (both GenII units) to the fresh air area STILL makes for an ugly protruding mass below the dash face and into the passengers foot well. It can be done,

My comments about modification on my unit not being really relevant to any other application is because, the firewall has been changed, the fresh air/wiper area cut out and no glove box.

So my recomendation is the Mini, or the Compact. Both should cool a wagon just fine. Yes the Gen IV has all the newest bells and whistles but as you can see, MY COMPACT with the fresh air valley cut out and unit mounted as close to the underside of the dash as possible, STILL hangs pretty low. The Mini will tuck up a bit higher If your willing to NOT have a glove box. And mount it there. Keep in mind the Larks dash gets crowded in a hurry once all the flexible hosing ducts get hooked up.

I'm still searching for an exact set up like yours, I have the guy's phone number his 61 wagon was at a good-guy's event in Tennessee about 5 years ago, made it into a magazine, but right now a 10 month old baby is making it tough to search for it at the moment. I've googled the guy's name and nothings coming up so I wonder if the magazine has taken it down from the site. I'll find it later.
    Good luck with the project.

Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM.
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

We will be adding a large console with ac outlets ending at the back of the front seats. Just bought a pair of Volvo Power seats for comfort.
      StudeRick & Johna
      Sacramento CA

1957 Silver Hawk
      1963 Avanti
      1961 Lark Wagon
      1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

This wagon was already modified when we bought it. Powered by a 350/350 and lowered. The previous owner truly loved bondo there were gallons of it and cardboard patches in the body. This is being replaced with real metal and the drip rail is being removed. Having grandchildren and dogs we decided that a modified 4 door wagon would be a better fit. The body is now off the frame, the 350 is being upgraded with forged pistons and the transmission has been replaced with a 700R4. I have a Turner Brake Kit on the way and found a 3. 73 posi flanged axle in my parts stash. We have a new single headlight front panel and Johna wants to use Bentley style grill mesh in the grill.
        StudeRick & Johna
        Sacramento CA

1957 Silver Hawk
        1963 Avanti
        1961 Lark Wagon
        1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Bumping, added to post
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment