Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel specs

I have a 55 Studebaker President Coupe
    Looking for wheel width and depth to shop for new wheels. Have bolt patern and circle width. Can someone out there help?
    Thanks,
    John

Hi I'm running 15 by 8 with 5on 4.5 bolt pattern and a 3.75in back space. One rear tire rubbed alittle just rolled the fender useing a baseball bat. This is on a otherwize stock 55 coupe. 15 by 6 with a 4inch back space will work fine. Use the search for wheels and read to you hearts content.

Comment

Having just gone through this, it's fresh on my mind

Stock 5" Stude wheels have 4.25" backspace. OEM Ford & Mopar wheels with 4" backspace work just fine on a Studebaker. I just put 15"x6" Chrysler wheels on my car; M-body Chrysler rear-wheel-drive cars have these - like RWD Chrysler Fifth Avenues or variant from Dodge or Plymouth like the Diplomat or Fury.

Wheel Vintiques sell new reproductions of these wheels in several widths in their 63- series.

Let me warn you that mag-style wheels may interfere with larger brake drum weights and not seat properly against the drum. Ask me how I know

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Wheels for 55

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        Having just gone through this, it's fresh on my mind

Stock 5" Stude wheels have 4.25" backspace. OEM Ford & Mopar wheels with 4" backspace work just fine on a Studebaker. I just put 15"x6" Chrysler wheels on my car; M-body Chrysler rear-wheel-drive cars have these - like RWD Chrysler Fifth Avenues or variant from Dodge or Plymouth like the Diplomat or Fury.

Wheel Vintiques sell new reproductions of these wheels in several widths in their 63- series.

Let me warn you that mag-style wheels may interfere with larger brake drum weights and not seat properly against the drum. Ask me how I know
        OK, Please tell me what you went through. I was looking at old style mags as an option like cragar. I called tire rack and they needed demensions. The salesperson said they were mostly 7" wide. Can use any help you are willing to give. My stock steels are ok but drab.

Comment

What style are you using?
          Thanks,
          John

Comment

Originally posted by glassfrog View Post
            OK, Please tell me what you went through. I was looking at old style mags as an option like cragar. I called tire rack and they needed demensions. The salesperson said they were mostly 7" wide. Can use any help you are willing to give. My stock steels are ok but drab.
            I was intending to write a post about this anyway, so here goes

I had Cragar S/S' on Barney; they came with him when I got him. 15"x6" multi-fits on the front, 15"x7" on the back. When I got the brakes re-done, one of the drums had really large drum weights:

I didn't think anything about it, and the brake shop (guys I've known personally for years and who ought to know better) didn't say anything about it, but the Cragar's spokes interfered with the weights because they were so large:

The wheel didn't bolt flat to the drum, so it was likely wobbling for many miles without me knowing, placing undue stress on the studs, axle and bearing. When I went to get new tires, the shop wouldn't unbolt the wheel - they told me that if they took it off, they wouldn't put it back on.

So I opted for the Chrysler steelies. It took some hunting, phone calls and test fitting to make sure they would work OK, but they turned out to be just the thing.

15"x6" on all four corners. I'll top them off with a cap of some sort.

So if you don't have any super big drum weights to interfere, the Cragars should work, or any other mag-style you want to run. But if you might have a situation like mine, then choose something else

Cheers!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

55 Coupe wheels

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
              I was intending to write a post about this anyway, so here goes

I had Cragar S/S' on Barney; they came with him when I got him. 15"x6" multi-fits on the front, 15"x7" on the back. When I got the brakes re-done, one of the drums had really large drum weights:

I didn't think anything about it, and the brake shop (guys I've known personally for years and who ought to know better) didn't say anything about it, but the Cragar's spokes interfered with the weights because they were so large:

The wheel didn't bolt flat to the drum, so it was likely wobbling for many miles without me knowing, placing undue stress on the studs, axle and bearing. When I went to get new tires, the shop wouldn't unbolt the wheel - they told me that if they took it off, they wouldn't put it back on.

So I opted for the Chrysler steelies. It took some hunting, phone calls and test fitting to make sure they would work OK, but they turned out to be just the thing.

15"x6" on all four corners. I'll top them off with a cap of some sort.

So if you don't have any super big drum weights to interfere, the Cragars should work, or any other mag-style you want to run. But if you might have a situation like mine, then choose something else

Cheers!
              I will look and see what the drums look like. Looks like you have new wheel studs.
              Thanks, John

Comment

I know that 15" x 7" wheels with a 4.50" back spacing will fit in the front in the front of my 54. A 4.75" back space will also work, tucking the wheel in a little farther.
                I just measured last weekend.

Until I get my rear axle back and in the car, no idea how the rear is gonna measure. Plus I had the axle narrowed, so my back spacing will differ.

Why don't you just measure your clearances ? It isn't difficult...really...! One straight edge and a tape measure will get you most of your dimensions, and a (cheap $3.00 hardware store) plumb bob will get you the rest.

A 6" wide wheel rim, spaced even sorta correctly...will fit any Stude.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by glassfrog View Post
                  Looks like you have new wheel studs.
                  Yes, new ones put in during the brake job - new drums had to be mated with the old hubs.

Comment

55 Coupe wheels

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                    I know that 15" x 7" wheels with a 4.50" back spacing will fit in the front in the front of my 54. A 4.75" back space will also work, tucking the wheel in a little farther.
                    I just measured last weekend.

Until I get my rear axle back and in the car, no idea how the rear is gonna measure. Plus I had the axle narrowed, so my back spacing will differ.

Why don't you just measure your clearances ? It isn't difficult...really...! One straight edge and a tape measure will get you most of your dimensions, and a (cheap $3.00 hardware store) plumb bob will get you the rest.

A 6" wide wheel rim, spaced even sorta correctly...will fit any Stude.

Mike
                    Thanks, The aftermarket mags are measuring with 7 inch width and 3.75 backspace. There is the quandry. Still working on the issue.
                    Thanks,
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X