PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 63 Avanti R1 Transmission Problem, powershift

ddub
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I was followed home be a cloud of smoke. Opened the hood and there was lots of smoke, lots of liquid in the back corner of engine compartment, passenger side. Liquid dripping off the frame, on the oil filter. Not oil colored, reddish so I am thinking transmission fluid. Since it is on the firewall and engine I am wondering if it could be from the cooler lines that run to the radiator, haven't had a chance to look in good light yet. Any thoughts or suggestions?

studegary
09-17-2012, 03:33 PM
If it was up high on the firewall, I would think - oil pressure line.
If it is only down low on the firewall, you are probably correct about AT coolant line. If this is the case, it is good that you did not have a fire, especially in a fiberglass Avanti. Do not drive the car with low AT fluid level. The leak may be hard to see because the lines often wear through at a clip or fastener, except for flexable sections. It would be okay to briefly run the car to see where the fluid is coming from (it may not be obvious when just sitting).

StudeRich
09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Don; I do think it is very likely that you have a blown Trans. Oil Flex hose at the Radiator, if you need those I am close, and have some in stock, let me know.

ddub
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Rich, PM sent.