PDA

View Full Version : 1963-1966 Wagonaires

mrjazzmillcreek
09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I have resently acquired a 1965 Daytona Wagonaire and in the process of removing the hood,front fenders and grille.I was surprised that during the dissassembly that the wagons have the same cast weights in the front lower panel and the same saddle arrangement to mount the radiator as the 63- 64 Cconvertibles. I realize they have the same frame as the converts but what is the purpose of the weights and saddle for a station wagon that has a complete body?? Anyone know

rockne10
09-16-2012, 08:16 PM
No sliding roof?

COMMANDERPINK1
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe the wieghts were to counter react to a cowl vibration at a certain speed in the Wagonaires and convertibles.
Tom

studegary
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
The sliding roof wagons had the same counterbalance weights as convertibles due to the lack of a complete roof structure. Wagons without the sliding roof did not have these weights (IIRC).

8E45E
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I realize they have the same frame as the converts but what is the purpose of the weights and saddle for a station wagon that has a complete body?? Anyone know

Same principles of constuction with the X-member, but Wagonaires and convertibles have different wheelbases.

Craig

Roscomacaw
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
On the Wagonaires and Ragtops, the "doghouse" "floats" on that one mount under the radiator. Since the X-member really ridgid-ized the center section, this had an effect on the doghouse that wasn't there in the sedans. Having only that one, central mount point, the front fenders tended to oscillate at certain under-way frequencies. The weights were employed to dampen those oscillations.
BTW, the frames are NOT the same between the Wagonaires and Convertibles.

2R5
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Ray , sounds like your not wasting any time with the wagon....going to have to come see it before you have it in pieces! <g>

StudeRich
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
No sliding roof?

Since this car is a "Wagonaire" and has the "X" frame, both radiator support to frame Brace AND front panel weights, it is not a "Wagon", so it would have a sliding roof.

8E45E
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Since this car is a "Wagonaire" and has the "X" frame, both radiator support to frame Brace AND front panel weights, it is not a "Wagon", so it would have a sliding roof.

I believe all '65's had the sliding roof.

Craig

studegary
09-17-2012, 02:25 PM

For the early ones, like 1963, Wagonaires had sliding roofs and wagons without sliding roofs were wagons. Later models, they were all called Wagonaires, whether they had a sliding roof or not.

StudeRich
09-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok but my '64 "Wagon" has no Wagonaire nameplate, so maybe that only applies to '65-'66's. :confused:

63t-cab
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Is it not a station wagon ?

57pack
09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
I had my 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire apart years ago and found the weights in the front as you mentioned. I had no idea what they were there for untill now. Thanks for filling a old blank. Thankfully I just put them back when I reassembled the front clip. Wish I still had that wagon!

mbstude
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Malcolm Berry removed them and put them in the rear quarters of his Wagonaire in the late 60's, in an attempt at better traction on the drag strip.

He's since driven that car (and continues to do so) all over the country, without the weights installed at all.

Seems as though some specific cars need them, and others don't. I've heard the same regarding convertibles.

Studerick64
09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
I removed the weights on a couple of 6 cylinder wagonaires I owned. I never noticed an oscillation but those weights are right were you dont want them at the very front of the vehicle. You can always put them back on if you notice a problem.