Studes (and other neat stuff) at the Guthrie, OK Car Show Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes (and other neat stuff) at the Guthrie, OK Car Show Yesterday

Beautiful day for a show. We've had somewhat of a reprieve from the drought, and have had some cool, overcast days.

Three Studes were in attendance:

I had never seen the Golden Hawk before... always nice to see another!

If you don't look at any other of the pics linked below, ya gotta see this!:

The owner of this rig also has a '50's vintage passenger bus, converted into a motor home, painted in the same scheme.

More of my favorites at the show may be seen here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Not sure what happened to some of the pics, I had several other really nice ones to share... computers can be so mysterious.
    Last edited by Studedude; 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

I heard a comment at yesterday's show that deserves to be shared with you. I wish I had kept a record of all of the silly things I have heard about how people remember things about Studebakers, and other old car memories.

Anyhoo, this fellow is telling me about riding with his cousin back in the 50's, in his uncle's Golden Hawk. He sez, "That thing was fast! We got into a race with a Buick. My cousin played around with the guy in the Buick for a while, then he kicked that ol' Studebaker into underdrive, and left the Buick in the dust!!!"

I just smiled and agreed that they were much faster with the underdrive engaged. <G>
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Three Studebakers shown and all modified. I see other modified cars in the backgrounds. Was this a show for modified cars or is that about all that there is anymore?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
        Beautiful day for a show. We've had somewhat of a reprieve from the drought, and have had some cool, overcast days.

Three Studes were in attendance:

Not sure what happened to some of the pics, I had several other really nice ones to share... computers can be so mysterious.
        Dave, I may be mistaken but I counted four including the pickup (purple C-Cab). But you know, "Computers can be mysterious!"

Comment

Originally posted by Commander55 View Post
          Dave, I may be mistaken but I counted four including the pickup (purple C-Cab). But you know, "Computers can be mysterious!"
          You are SO correct, on all counts!

The truck was not registered in the show, he just dropped in, looked around, and left. I hoped to have a chance to visit with him, but he was gone before I got a chance.

For those that didn't follow the link to other pics, here is the 4th Stude that could have been seen in the area, if only briefly. <G>:

Commander55:

** I sent you a PM regarding a fellow that is interested in your Weasel **

Let me know if you did/did not get it!
          Last edited by Studedude; 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM.
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Three Studebakers shown and all modified. I see other modified cars in the backgrounds. Was this a show for modified cars or is that about all that there is anymore?
            The GT is Stude powered, so I think it would probably be in the Custom class, or what ever name SDC judging protocol might be calling that class this week. (Stude Powered, with non-original, upgraded/improved wheels.)

The owner of the GT is quite proud of his two SDC International first place awards (I didn't think to ask him in what class,) but in his words, when/if the Stude engine craters, he, "Will not make the mistake of going that route again... it will be replaced with a Chevy engine."

In spite of the fact my car is Chevy powered, I did hate to hear him say that.

There are a good many still original Studes around, but apparently many owners of them just don't get them out and about for shows.

Old age? (Cars and drivers?) Drive-ability? Lack of interest? Beats me.

I found a '56 or '57 President for sale today, about 20 miles from me.

V8, pretty straight body, some light rust issues... looks to be original, note on windshield states it runs and drives well. I didn't even get close enough to check out the interior.

I guess I should have taken and posted pics of it here, but the asking price is $4,500.00, so what would be the point?

I will probably follow up on it soon, though... I can't seem to be able to leave such things alone. <G>
            Last edited by Studedude; 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

That is a really beautiful truck Dave, you need to get to know him.

Strange, no woodies in Guthrie.....................

Comment

Dave L. - You did say that "Three Studes were in attendance." You didn't say only three <G>.
                Now there are four modified Studebakers.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
                  That is a really beautiful truck Dave, you need to get to know him.

Strange, no woodies in Guthrie.....................
                  I'll track him down, and we'll get acquainted. Actually, I stumbled onto it about a month ago on one of my Sunday "Drive around the state" drives. It was parked at a church, and I took the shot from the rear that is posted on photobucket. I made note of its location then, and intend to connect with him.

Good call on the Woody Guthrie thing! <G>
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Dave L. - You did say that "Three Studes were in attendance." You didn't say only three <G>.
                    Now there are four modified Studebakers.
                    I count three modified, and one Cusstom.

Maybe.

Could be two each.

I don't know what powers the C cab.

As it relates to SDC judging classes, based on what you can see in the picture, other than hubcaps and tires, (and maybe paint, I don't know,) is the Golden Hawk Modified, or Custom?

If you say modified, why?
                    Last edited by Studedude; 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                      I count three modifieds, and one Cusstom. <GGG>
                      I am using modified in the general sense of not being completely stock, not in the SDC judging artificial split of modified and custom.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I am using modified in the general sense of not being completely stock, not in the SDC judging artificial split of modified and custom.
                        Love ya, Gary!

Sometimes, it's hard to know just which nit to pick, eh?
                        Last edited by Studedude; 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                        X