Studebaker Insurance Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Insurance Opinion

What insurance company does everyone recommend to insure a 49' champion. And how much to insure it for?

Much will depend upon your agent. Mine are through State Farm with pretty liberal usage; about $60-$70 per vehicle every six months. You will need to determine a value based upon an appraisal.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've been with JC Taylor for the last 40 years. No problems, but never filed a claim either.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

SIMPLE J.C. TAYLOR THEY ARE GREAT

Comment

I've been with Grundy for 5 years. Cost of $220 a year. There isn't a mileage limit on it. The only limitations is they don't want it to be driven to work, or parked outside at your house. The first year we had the insurance, We had a windshield to get broken going down the highway, and with buying the new glass, rubber, installation, shipping the glass to us, cost the insurance company around $900.00. We faxed them the receipts, and had a check within 2 days. Very satisfied with everything we've done with them so far. Plus, there was not a deductable on the windshield, we didn't pay anything at all. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

if you have a locked garage to place her in, yearly mileage allowance you can live with and the company has an "agreed value" for the vehicle, most of the major "classic car" insurers will do business with you.

for my '40, i chose "infinity" - in state "semi-local" agent, 8,000 miles a year, $14,900 agreed value. $180 a year.

check the "interweb"

"your rate may vary"!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I recommend Hagerty. I believe that it is hard for others to give you a rate. There are variables based on the state that the car is housed in (higher here in NY). Go online and shop around a little. I would say to stick with major companies and only accept agreed value (not stated value).
              Last edited by studegary; 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM. Reason: remove o
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Much will depend upon your agent. Mine are through State Farm with pretty liberal usage; about $60-$70 per vehicle every six months. You will need to determine a value based upon an appraisal.
                That's about what we pay on the 53 at State Farm. We have homeowners and modern car insurance with them too. We didn't need an appraisal They accepted stated value. We also have the 40 insured for $5000 just against theft or fire. No liability or any kind of driving. I couldn't believe the premium. $15.06 every six months. At the rate we are getting things done to it we will be increasing the insurance soon. We were very surprised a car undergoing work could be insured so cheaply.
                sigpic

Comment

Could you explain the difference between stated and agreed value? I thought stated value was the value the company agreed to.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hagerty is terrific. Car has stated value coverage and claims service is really fast. I had a claim in the first year of coverage with them and they so easy to work with. Premium price beat State Farm even with all the discounts I have with multi-car, homeowners etc.
                    My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
                    Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
                    My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: Since 1970 and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by kirkdob View Post
                      Hagerty is terrific. Car has stated value coverage and claims service is really fast. I had a claim in the first year of coverage with them and they so easy to work with. Premium price beat State Farm even with all the discounts I have with multi-car, homeowners etc.
                      I have Hagerty as well. I have never had to file a claim and have found that they took my what I said as the value of both the Champ and the Cruiser. I had to send pictures of both. The only problem is that there is a maximum yearly mileage. I spoke with a lady at Hagerty about that since I was sure I would be driving more than that. (They are not really daily drivers, but I drive to a lot of car related events). She said that would be no problem. At present I am taking at their word. I have checked on J.C. Taylor, but it is not available in North Carolina.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I also have all of my Collector Vehicles with Hagerty all on one policy. Values are adjusted annually and I only pay one Liability premium for all of my vehicles. They are great to work with and yes I have had experience with their claims department. One of my cars was involved in a hit and run and had considerable damage.. I prefer to place all of my collector vehicles with a specialized carrier as most mainstreet carriers to include Travelers, Nationwide, State Farm, Farmers and other have no clue how ti insure and or handle our vehicles at time of a loss and that always creates headaches. Specialized carriers know what to do and all goes well if we have all of the info needed to make that happen. Values for a vehicle of course can vary based on condition. Whatever you do make sure you have coverage limits that will protect you and your assets.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
                          Could you explain the difference between stated and agreed value? I thought stated value was the value the company agreed to.
                          Stated value is what you state that you want to insure the vehicle for. You are charged based on this amount. When it comes to a claim, like for a total loss, then the amount is open to negotiation/dispute/compromise/etc. for an amount up to the stated amount. Often, you have to prove the value of the vehicle, pre-loss, at that point. I have even been in court with one of these cases.
                          Agreed value is an amount that you insure a vehicle for that both the insurer and the insurance company have agreed is proper for your vehicle. In the case of a total loss, you will get that amount automatically.
                          I would not consider a policy that wasn't agreed value.
                          Last edited by studegary; 09-17-2012, 09:53 AM. Reason: two switched letters + part missing from memory section
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by kirkdob View Post
                            I believe that Hagerty only issues agreed value policies, not stated value.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

i have been with J.C.Taylor since 1985. I have 8 cars on 1 policy. With towing it runs just under $200. per year,but I have never filed a claim.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X