dye for seat covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dye for seat covers?

I tried to remove some tar spots on the vinyl seat cover of the rear seat in my '64 Cruiser and forgot to test the solvent first in a spot that doesn't show. The solvent removed some of the color. Now the areas where I applied the solvent look different than the rest of the seat. Any suggestions on how to fix this? All I can think of is to try to carefully dye the spots with the appropriate color dye. Is there a source for a dye that will match the color of this original seat cover?

Dale

Note: this is my first attempt to resize and attach photos to a forum post so my apology in advance if the photos do not adequately show the damage.

Rear seat cushion from 1964 Cruiser

Close-up of damaged area

Ant real auto parts paint store can custom match it.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Ant real auto parts paint store can custom match it.

JDP/Maryland
      JPD - Thanks! It never crossed my mind that they'd be able to do so. Paint, yes, but didn't know they did dye too.

Dale

Comment

It is really just a sort of thin paint, unlike dye that you would dip fabric in.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have used a product by SEM. It is a vinyl/leather dye. I did an entire interior with it. And id came out great. It wears like the original.

First you have to clean the material with a special prep solvent that gets it REALLY clean.

Check with an auto upholstery shop. I ordered what I needed through them, rather than isolate a supplier.

Larry

Comment

Working...
          X