Old School Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Old School Mufflers

Hi, On my Speedster one of the mufflers (dual Exh) now makes a load rattle at excelleration. I think the inside baffles have come loose as its quite a bit louder than it used to be.

My car has Stainless Steel 2" pipes; a very good grade of SS; It's very close to non-magnetic.

Does anyone have experience with nice, mellow sounding mufflers for a Studebaker 259; Not really loud, just a mellow, mild, old school hot-rod sound ???

I know this is a very subjective thing but Forum guys havent steered me wrong yet.

Thanks, Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

The only pair I could find "in stock" here in town was Thrush glass packs. I put them on,with no tailpipes. The mufflers are at the rear just ahead of the rear end,[stock location]with turn downs on it. I was afraid they might be too loud,but they sound great! I think they are about 27" long, 2" inlet and 2" outlet. I do plan to get some tailpipes on it sooner or later,just to get the sound behind the car instead of underneath.
    BTW,I once replaced one stock muffler with a glasspack,and left the other stock muffler on the car.. That car sounded a lot better than I thought it would.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I use Smithy's. I think this is "The" old school sound. Course, this is just what I think.

Comment

Whatever you buy you want stainless. The Thrush/Cherry Bomb/Smithy's/et al mild steel don't last long on a car not driven regularly. Surprisingly letting them sit over the winter just gives the combustion acids a good long time to work. Driving every day cooks it out.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I thought everybody drove their Studebaker every day.

Comment

I have a pair of Porter mufflers on my 259. They have audio files on the site but mine isn't nearly that loud. I think they sound great but I'm not afraid to start the car up in the driveway at 6:30 AM on a Sunday morning to go to a show.

Welcome to portermufflers.com - your one-stop-shop for quality mufflers, exhaust kits, and accessories. Browse our collection and experience our commitment to exceptional customer service.

In fact, the guy who manufactures them helped out with the exhaust on our Bonneville car in '09 and '10.
            Last edited by BobWaitz; 09-15-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Porter will even pack them with stainless steel wool in a stainless shell. If you talk real nice they are very good about making them sound just like you want them to.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Try these...I've heard nothing but postive comments about this outfit, but have no firsthand experience.

Regards, Junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I had these on my 66 Mustang with 289 and they sounded great. I think they have sound files on their website for different engines to compare...

sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I have always been a fan of cherry bombs. I actually have one sitting on my workbench that I have had for 12 years. Never used. I had planned on putting it on my old dodge but never did. Once I get my exhaust leak taken care of, I hope to change out the muffler to a cherry bomb, or similar muffler. The one I have is too big for the application, inlet/outlet and length wise.
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I put the Silvertones on my Avanti 327 over 20 years ago. they have not rusted and still sound mellow. if I remember correctly, they sell a quiet, mild and loud version (or did then). mine was the mild. it is a little quiet, but I like it.
                      sigpicStude Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                        I have always been a fan of cherry bombs. I actually have one sitting on my workbench that I have had for 12 years. Never used. I had planned on putting it on my old dodge but never did. Once I get my exhaust leak taken care of, I hope to change out the muffler to a cherry bomb, or similar muffler. The one I have is too big for the application, inlet/outlet and length wise.

Cherry Bombs: 'Disturbing The Peace Since 1968'.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I have a set of stainless cherry bombs on mine that I got pretty cheap off of ebay because they were discontinued. I don't know if they're being produced again.
                          I bought a pair of old smitty style mufflers at South Bend a couple of years ago that may go on the 65 Daytona Wagonaire. They're supposed to be for a 62 fairlane but I think they might work.
                          Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

I have used Edlebrock mufflers. Give a nice throaty sound yet not nerve rattling on the freeway. On my Barracuda the shop installed a pair of Walker mufflers that reasonate so much back into the car it almost makes one car sick.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                              Cherry Bombs: 'Disturbing The Peace Since 1968'.
                              precisely lol.
                              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X