Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 65' Commander Rear End

a few questions:
    IS the rear end in the 65 a Dana 44? If so, getting a gasket should be fairly simple... any flaps should have it correct? Someone told me to just use RTV and I dont think that that is the best idea in the world. Maybe combined with a new gasket?
    What is the best gear lube for the rear end?
    Anything to look out for?

I noticed that mine is leaking a bit and would like to take care of it this weekend if I can.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

RTV will work just fine, the factory is using that insted of gasket, Black works best for me,
    Good luck,Johnny

Comment

How much gear lube do I use? A special type?

Comment

You posted on 5-07-12 about the differential and recieved part of your answer then.
        Without getting under the car and looking you will never know what is in it now.
        Anything could have been swapped into it over the years.
        If it is a Dana 44 or a 23 - 3 pints of 80/90 hypoid gear oil from the parts store.
        If it is a "TT"[twin traction] you will need the non-slip additive, unless it is already in the gear oil you buy.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

You can get the dana 27 or 44 gasket at autozone for like $8 and they should have it in stock.

I had no idea what rear I had either, but after sanding some dirt off the case you can see in the lower right side of the housing a bulged out number, mine was a 44. No clue about the ratio I got though.

Edit.
          Dana 27 fel pro: RDS55015
          dana 44 fel pro: RDS6629
          Last edited by RadCruiser; 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            You posted on 5-07-12 about the differential and recieved part of your answer then.
            Without getting under the car and looking you will never know what is in it now.
            Anything could have been swapped into it over the years.
            If it is a Dana 44 or a 23 - 3 pints of 80/90 hypoid gear oil from the parts store.
            If it is a "TT"[twin traction] you will need the non-slip additive, unless it is already in the gear oil you buy.
            completely forgot about that thread. Sorry for the double post. Admin close if needed.

Comment

Also look for the vent hole in the rear differential. Run a paper clip through it to open it up while you are under there. Just in case is is plugged like mine was.

Mark

Comment

[QUOTE=Bullet;680555]Also look for the vent hole in the rear differential. Run a paper clip through it to open it up while you are under there. Just in case is is plugged like mine was.

Mark[/QUOTE

Where on the diff is the vent hole?

Comment

It is on the drivers side of the rear end. 2 1/8 inches inside of the inner most spring shackle. It is on the back side of the axle housing. It is supposed to be under one of the brake line clips. I would look there first.

The hole is only the size of a #2 pencil lead. Pretty small, but effective.

Mark

Comment

cultural infidel:
                    I wasn't complaining about the other post, just reminding you of it.
                    I notice that you have free form thoughts and posts and you don't check old posts.
                    Also make sure the vent holes for the wheel bearings are clear.
                    Same size as the differential vent, located just behind each backing plate, top of the housing.
                    If your rearend has the screw in caps for the wheel bearings, remove them. Install zerk fittings and put in 2 or 3 shots of good wheel bearing grease.
                    Replace the caps so that someone else doesn't pump them full of chassis grease.
                    If they are there [some years didn't have the fittings] they are located just behind the backing plates on the back side of the differential housing.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                      /Cut/If your rearend has the screw in caps for the wheel bearings, remove them. Install zerk fittings and put in 2 or 3 shots of good wheel bearing grease.
                      Replace the caps so that someone else doesn't pump them full of chassis grease.
                      If they are there [some years didn't have the fittings] they are located just behind the backing plates on the back side of the differential housing.
                      Infidel; these Plugs for greasing the wheel bearings are only on 1957 and older rear ends, I have forgotten if your '65 is an early car with tapered axles or a late one with flanged axles, but either way if it has it's original axle assy. which I am pretty sure it does, this will not apply.
                      I do know the car remember, being very local to where it came from.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, the car has the flanged axles. I basically will be driving the car as is until November. Then I can start fixing stuff. IE removing it from the car to actually work on it. Originally I was planning to have it paint by Thanksgiving. This issue has changed that plan.

Comment

Since the car has flanged axles you might as well convert it to zercs. It is a very easy thing to do. I wrote out the procedure for the group step by step some years ago but I have no idea where that post is now but it sure makes it easy to keep your wheel bearings packed.
                          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                          61 V8 Tcab
                          63 Tcab 20R powered
                          55 Commander Wagon
                          54 Champion Wagon
                          46 Gibson Model A
                          50 JD MC
                          45 Agricat
                          67 Triumph T100
                          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I have been wrong in the past but it seems to me that the rear axle bearings on flanged axles are inboard of the seal & are lubricated by the axle oil contained in the gearset, thus eliminating the need to remove the axles & pack the bearings as is required on tapered axles.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm currently awaiting new bearings and seals for a Dana 44 TT flange axle diff. Bearings aren't lubed from gear oil. There is an inner seal and outer on each axle and bearings should be grease packed.
                              Hope this helps,
                              Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X