Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever able to shatter an installed fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Anyone ever able to shatter an installed fuel pump?

Well, I did. The previous owner of my '64 Avanti told me he had installed a new fuel pump. He also removed the filter with the return line orifice and capped the return line. OK, I have driven it for two years with no fuel problems. However, whatever he put on is "too tall" and wouldn't allow the power steering pump to move more than about 3/4 inch in the slot on the adjusting bracket. This meant I couldn't get the correct power steering belt over the pulleys (too tight) and the next size up couldn't be tightened enough. I decided to solve the problem by taking the power steering pump loose which allowed me to slip the belt over the pulleys (still tight, but doable). However, in tightening the bolts holding the pump I heard sort of a snap. I couldn't see anything wrong (of course you can't see the fuel pump on an Avanti without removing the battery and taking off the power steering pump.)

When I was finished with my projects I started the car and everything sounded OK. I decided to make a test run around our block (about three miles). Ran great- for the first 1 1/2 miles then it acted like it was running out of gas, but knew it wasn't empty. I was able to coast to within about 1/2 mile of home (hadn't taken my cell phone with me either) then walked back to the house. My son was home next door so I recruited him to help me. When we got down to the car he took off the air cleaner and I pumped the gas. The accelerator pump did squirt so I thought maybe I had an ignition failure. However, I decided to try the starter and it started right up. I could see the fuel line to the carb jumping around so I killed it. Sure 'nuff, the fuel pump was completely broken loose from the block.

I was going to call for a rollback to get me the last half mile home, but my son thought we could pull it and we did. Kind of sporty with no power brakes or steering, but we made it. Tomorrow I work in the driveway taking out the battery, removing the power steering pump and getting the remains of the mystery pump removed. I have several used correct Carter R-1 pumps so I am anxious to see what the difference is that caused me this grief. Hope I can find kits to fix the Carters. I don't want any more mystery "tall" pumps.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

You'll probably see a small 'loop hole' is the best way I can describe it, and a bit of extra meat along the top of the body. Use the sharpest FILE you have to take care of it in the future.......

Comment

Working...
    X