Mismatched serial numbers advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Mismatched serial numbers advice

As I slowly tear into my 1946 Champion, documenting and taking pictures, I have come across the following and would like some clarification to see if I am reading things right.
    The cars serial number is G209749, a 1946 5G Champion.
    The distributor is a IGC4805. Which I think is from a 1949 not '46.
    The only number I can find on the block is 518448-2. Which depending on the source is either a 1949 170" or a 1955 170".
    Tranny originally had O/D (at least has the cable), but the tranny is a T-90 without O/D, and I don't think the T-90 came out for a couple of years after '46.
    I realize the engine and tranny are not original, but could anyone out there confirm the engine year by the serial # and let me know if I am on track with the rest.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Champions normally had a T96 transmission, not a T90. Early ones, like '39 and '40 has the T84 tranny which is even smaller and wimpier than the T96. T96 has a 4-bolt top cover, T90 and its soulmate, T86, have six-bolt top covers. Now Studebaker pickups from some years used the T90, and the bellhousing had the starter on the passenger side. Cars with T96 normally had the starter on the driver's side. Somebody might have put a truck engine and tranny in your car. Does it have column or floor shift?

Engine serial number should be stamped into a raised pad on the block, driver's side, just below the head, and a bit back of the water pump.

I have a fair amount in the way of Champion parts, and I am not far away, in Trochu. You can PM me if you want to get in touch.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

All the numbers you supplied do indicate a 1949 engine. There is a smooth pad, 1/2" X 2", on the left side of the block at top front. Clean that area off real good and see if there is a stamped number there.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks to both, the raised area has no numbers stamped there. Checked carefully as I thought that is where it was supposed to be. The tranny is floor shift and has 6 bolts on top. Kinda figuring someone swapped with a '49, but never thought about a truck engine.

Comment

Sounds like a factory replacement engine rather than a transplant from another car. My 41 had a date stamped above the #1 intake port. Not sure how common that was though. What are the numbers on the head?

Comment

No date stamp. Head has 199697 cast into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shyke11 View Post
              No date stamp. Head has 199697 cast into it.
              That casting was used from 1939 through 1949. Date codes in those years would be a letter followed by a few numbers. Should be one on top of the head and one on the block near the casting number.

Comment

Other head castings are 2S and Z:3:5. Will check the block castings this morning after a cup of coffee.

Comment

You have been looking for raised casting numbers which are all the same on each series of block, also in the wrong place.
                  Please follow the instructions here in post #3, to find the actual STAMPED IN Engine Serial Number.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is no stamped number. I have cleaned and checked where it should be and other than grinder marks there are no stamped number located at the top drivers side of the engine to the rear of the water pump. After reading multiple posts on this and checking the engine over many times, all I have is the casting numbers. I am sure now the engine has been swapped, the starter is located on the passenger side, and there is evidence of column shift was removed at some point (hole in floor mat next to steering column perfect size for column shift linkage).
                    The engine is looking to be in great shape, as is partially dismantled now. I am looking at sending it out for machining, and want to make sure I am ordering the right parts for the rebuild.
                    I have searched the old posts, read the manuals, and not being as well versed in Studebakers as I am with other manufactures, was hoping for some other insight to make sure I was on the right path.

Comment

Perhaps getting in contact with Gord would be helpful as he says he lives near you?
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Gordon has been in contact and has been a great wealth of information already. Really seams to know his stuff. Always enjoy reading his posts. Have also been in contact with the local Studebaker club, hope to meet some interesting people there.

Comment

Z 3 5 on the head says it was cast in March of 1946, so it's likely original. The block date code should be just below the casting number, below the distributor.

Comment

Other block casting: A*12*30
                            Thanks, slowly putting the pieces together. So to speak

Comment

So the block was cast 12/30/?? I don't know all the casting year codes except T is 1940 and U is 1941. At least for Champion engines. Not sure about the Commander 6 or the 8. We should figure this out and write it down somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X