Zerk fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Zerk fittings?

I am having my Dana 44 TT rear end rebuilt. The rebuilder suggested adding a zerk fitting near the wheel bearing, so that on the tapered axle I do not have to pull the drums to regreese the bearings for the axle. I have seen this talked about before but can't seem to find any thing on it.

Thoughts either way?

Also, we could not find the breather hole in the axle housing. We are going to drill a new hole. The rebuilder is suggesting a hose to go from the axle up to the frame to get out of the mud and dirt. This is a daily driver car. Not so sure about the hose, hole, yes, hose not so sure about.

Mark

That note is in the manual...

Install zerk fittings, grease, remove the fittings and replace with plugs.
    You aren't looking to keep "pressure" in there, just a good amount of grease to move around. Just think about your front wheel bearings and the life they have..!

Mike

Comment

I have only been in there one time, but aren't those plugs on the back of the brake backing plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
        I am having my Dana 44 TT rear end rebuilt. The rebuilder suggested adding a zerk fitting near the wheel bearing, so that on the tapered axle I do not have to pull the drums to regreese the bearings for the axle. I have seen this talked about before but can't seem to find any thing on it.

Thoughts either way?

Also, we could not find the breather hole in the axle housing. We are going to drill a new hole. The rebuilder is suggesting a hose to go from the axle up to the frame to get out of the mud and dirt. This is a daily driver car. Not so sure about the hose, hole, yes, hose not so sure about.

Mark
        The breather hole is on the left side, front maybe four inches from the spring shackle. It is probably covered with rust/crud/whatever and may not be easy to see.
        Earlier models did have grease fittings at the axle bearings (like my '53), but people tended to way overgrease them which would blow out the seals and get grease in to the brakes.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Good idea, but do NOT use an air powered grease gun! As mentioned, you'll blow out the grease seals. What I do is: jack up the car using proper safety equipment, put in one pump, turn the wheel about 1/3 of the way around, one more pump, then the last 1/3 and one last pump. You'll be good to go for another 15-20K

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

From the sounds of it, I will proceed to install the zerk. Thanks.

Mark

Comment

The breather hole is there! Don't drill another one. It's only large enough to fit the end of a paper clip. Clean the housing and find it. Once you've opened it, an occasional shot of grease will keep it clean.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Some years did not have the threaded hole and cap installed.
                The screw in caps are in my 55 from the factory. Make sure you don't pump too much grease, you will foul the brake shoes.
                The factory put in the caps so a lube jockey wouldn't pump them full of chassis lube. Easy to unscrew and install zerks when greasing then remove the zerks and reinstall the caps. Or leave the zerks in if you do you own grease jobs.
                You want to use a good quality wheel bearing grease.
                Also, make sure the breather hole at the top of each wheel bearing are clear.
                Per Bob Johnstones Tech Site the differential breather hole is about 2 1/8" in from the spring perch. 1/8" or smaller.
                I didn't see anything on Bob's site but I know there are threads about the zerk fitting install on a search of this site.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

The vent hole is supposed to be under the clip that holds the brake line in place, at the location described above. There's a raised channel in the clip that provides a passage. but keeps dirt out.

I would be concerned about mixing greases in a wheel bearing. I know you can get catastrophic failure that way on front wheel bearings.

I think the plugs for the bearings, and the drain plug for the rear, were on my '57; but not my '61.

Mike M.

Comment

We found the vent hole in the rear end. Just a said, 2 1/8 inch to the right of the inner most spring hold down on the drivers side. It was filled with junk and even closed with rust on the inside. No good and I sure that has been causeing me problems.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and answers.

Mark

Comment

It was me that wrote up the procedure some years ago......dont know where it is now. The first time it will take quite a bit as it will fill the area between the seals plus the bearing but after that it only takes a few pumps and after you have done it once you will learn the feel. One thing that I never do is reswage the drums back on I just mark them so that they are replaced in the same position.
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Could someone post a picture?............on our Avanti we have looked for years for the little bugger..........never found the hole to put a zerk into....and I mean lots of people looked while the car was on the lift........nada:-(

Comment

It was used on passenger cars through 1956, and 1/2 ton pickups through 1964 model year.

Comment

We did not find any holes for the zerk fittings, as Jerry said. We drilled holes in the axle and then added the zerks. Will be easy now, as look as I remember to only use bearing grease.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X