Are Zone Meets Getting Fewer Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Zone Meets Getting Fewer Cars?

I talked to a guy that went to the Tri-State meet and there wasn't many cars. I think he said 24. At the Middle Tennessee Meet last year there was 7 cars. Whats the deal? We were planning on going to the Tri-State next year but I guess we will go to Branson which is at the same time.

My guess is money is just real tight for many of our club members, Carl.
    Looks like it might be that way for awhile, unfortunately.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Most of us have limited dollars and, with the price of fuel, we pick carefully. Joe and I were discussing that we would like to make the meet in Nashville, but the fuel cost makes us think it's not going to happen.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Why don't both of those zones meet in the middle? Do the ASC and Avanti clubs join your zone meet? Invite them.

Comment

I am the chair for the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet, September 21-23 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
          So far I have 33 cars registered, 17 for judging. I'm hoping we will get some more.
          Lots of people but not to many cars.
          Fred

sigpic

Comment

I can remember when our local chapter here used to get 150+ cars for their yearly car show....now they don't even have a show.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I don't dispute that the current economic situation is effecting the attendance at Zone Meets as i know it is. I have talked to an individual who was at the Tr-State Meet and he said that there were around 50 cars there with the largest class being the Avanti II class. I found that an nteresting observation.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

With the aniversary of the Avanti, I have had more parts requests, and seen more 'fresh out of the garage' Avantis, than any other time this last year. I have had requests for Avanti parts, but NEVER this many! The Avanti group is going through a 'revival' , the club membarship will surely follow once these are all running and driving again.....

Comment

I can see that money would have a lot to do with it. I know myself on the 64 hawk i picked up I was dissapointed that it had the small 2 bbl motor. But then the more I thought about it. You know that mpg's may be kind of nice with gas at $4.00 a gallon. Make going on a rod run a lot easier on the wallet and it seems to have plenty of zip.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                    I have talked to an individual who was at the Tr-State Meet and he said that there were around 50 cars there with the largest class being the Avanti II class. I found that an nteresting observation.
                    I was there, and there were nowhere near 50 cars. The number 24 posted earlier sounds about right. There were 3 or 4 late model Avanti's, so it may have been the largest class.

There was a threat of rain so that may have been part of the reason for such a low turnout. But even still, 24 cars isn't very many for a show that's been going on as long as that one has.

Comment

I was at Tri-State and Matthew is right on the car count.I had hoped to bring my car but the Carb.was not working right so had to leave it at home. I talked to two other guys that were experiencing the same trouble and had to leave the car at home.

Comment

Please keep the terms straight. NEITHER of the referenced meets were "Zone Meets". They were chapter meets or meets by a small group of chapters. The Southeast Zone Meet is in Florida next month.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                          I can remember when our local chapter here used to get 150+ cars for their yearly car show....now they don't even have a show.
                          Same thing for our local chapter.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Even recognizing that the SDC is a large club, what's the average age of members? As the Studebaker name and vehicle gets further out of the public memory and members get older, retire and pass on. There may well be fewer members who are physically able to travel, the economy notwithstanding.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Please keep the terms straight. NEITHER of the referenced meets were "Zone Meets". They were chapter meets or meets by a small group of chapters. The Southeast Zone Meet is in Florida next month.
                              Some how I knew I was wrong but you get what I was talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X