• Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake Cable attachment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9110002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1736412Hi Folks,

I have installed a Dana 44 from a factory disc brake car into my F4 Commander. (11" drums)

The emergency brake cable attachment to the backing plates is different. The cable from the F4 has bolt-on "clips" at the backing plate to hold the cable in position. (TOP in picture)

The backing plates on the "new" rear use pop-out "tang" connectors on the cable. (BOTTOM in picture)

I had originally thought that I could drill and tap holes in the backing plate and use the original clips, but the backing plate is not flat enough in that area to do that.

Any ideas on how to attach these?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Well...I think I figured it out.

There are parallel notches in the original brake cable ends (Top in the picture on my earlier post).

I modified heavy washers to make a clip to snuggly fit those notches. Then I bent the washer over slightly just enough to fit the contour of the backing plate.

Next I ground a bolt relief in the edge of the washer. These are a little bit above center/horizon to make sure the bolt clears the brake shoe.

Tapped the washer/clip into position after the cable end was inserted into the backing plate...then used #12-24 self tapping bolt to secure the clip nesting the bolt into the notch/relief.

I had to take care drilling the hole with the self-tapper so I didn't hit the cable. I took the bolt out and trimmed it off so it just protrudes through the backing plate.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS OUT ON THE ROAD YET. I have had seemingly great ideas turn into crap before! I will let you know how it works out. "Disclaimer: Don't try this at home"

Name:	P9120002.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1675471

Name:	P9120004.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1675472Click image for larger version

Name:	P9120005.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1675473Click image for larger version

Name:	P9120006.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1675474D
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Working...
    X