52 hardtop convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 hardtop convertible?

never heard of Studebaker making a "hardtop convertible", but this seller says he has an NOS rear side glass for it.
    Unless he meant "hardtop, or convertible".

This is a NEW OEM ORIGINAL WINDOW for:
    1952 Studebaker Club Coupe, Starliner, Hard Top Convertible, Models 12G Champion, 3H Commander, Symbol K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120984446653&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

It was a term of art in the early 50s for the new 2-door cars without a B-pillar. Stude actually used the term in their advertising for a few years. Later, the whole industry just shortened the term to "hardtop" -- even though everything but real convertibles had hard tops. It has fallen out of use, as almost no such models are built any more. But all geezers know what it means.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Hardtop Convertible is the nomenclature initially used for the hard top cars. Not sure of the reasoning, but that is what they were called.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Take a look at the website Studebakerhardtop.com . I think he has his terminology correct. No, the top does not come off, but they still called it a convertible.

(I see I was third in line here by the time I got my post done).
        Rob in ND
        \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
          Hardtop Convertible is the nomenclature initially used for the hard top cars. Not sure of the reasoning, but that is what they were called.
          The very first two door hardtops, if one credits GM's 1949 Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile lineup, (there were seven 1947 Chrysler Town & Country hardtops made) essentially were a steel roof welded onto a convertible body shell. The doors and quarter windows would interchange. The 1951 Rambler may have been the first hardtop to have a different contour for the rear quarter windows.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            But all geezers know what it means.
            I guess I can be thankful I am not quite to "geezer" status yet, even though there are days in which my body tells me I am close.

Comment

I remember pillarless 2 door hardtops being called hardtop convertibles. Some hardtops even had the roof styled to look like it had a top bow.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Now, many makes offer a convertible that uses a retractable hardtop.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Now then... if you look at a -64 Impala H.T. you'll see that they even made a soft-top-looking line across the roof a bit forward from the rear window... & then there's already the late 50's Ford's...

Comment

I had a '52 Hardtop Commander [parts car] for a short time. Even the title said "hardtop convertible"
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yes. That crease actually started on the 62 Impala hardtops. The 62 Bel Air hardtops still had the 1961 roof, and because of the contrast, acquired the name "bubbletops".
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Studebaker had a Hardtop Convertible in 1925.Click image for larger version

Name:	1925 Studebaker Six Californian Hard Top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1675467
                        Dave Pink
                        Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                        1925 ER Tourer
                        1925 Panel Delivery
                        1953 Champion Sedan
                        1957 Golden Hawk
                        1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Yes. That crease actually started on the 62 Impala hardtops. The 62 Bel Air hardtops still had the 1961 roof, and because of the contrast, acquired the name "bubbletops".
                          That convertible appearing hard roof was not limited to Chevrolet. For example, My 1962 Pontiac Catalina hardtop had that roof (shared body).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            That convertible appearing hard roof was not limited to Chevrolet. For example, My 1962 Pontiac Catalina hardtop had that roof (shared body).
                            All the B-body 2-door hardtops did, including Buicks and Oldsmobiles that it was shared with.

Craig

Comment

So the was 57-59 Fords might've been the only true ones?

Comment

Working...
                              X