15" Wheel availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 15" Wheel availability

Just meandering around the HAMB and noticed these OEM style wheels from Rallye America. Currently available in 5 X 4.75 but 5 X 4.5 available shortly. Any rim width to 14" and custom back spacing available.

Note poverty cap mounting dimples.

FYI, Bob

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Just meandering around the HAMB and noticed these OEM style wheels from Rallye America. Currently available in 5 X 4.75 but 5 X 4.5 available shortly. Any rim width to 14" and custom back spacing available.

Note poverty cap mounting dimples.

FYI, Bob
    Glad you posted this as I didn't realize that Rallye America is an Allience member. I had just called them today about a set of Chrysler wire wheels for a 57 GH.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The poverty cap dimples on these wheels are what is described as 10 1/8" like stock 49-up Ford and 54-up Chevy. Do Studebaker dog dish caps fit on these dimples?

Comment

Originally posted by over50 View Post
        The poverty cap dimples on these wheels are what is described as 10 1/8" like stock 49-up Ford and 54-up Chevy. Do Studebaker dog dish caps fit on these dimples?
        There is a 49 Ford at my granddads shop, and years ago I put a Studebaker dog dish on one of the wheels. It fit fine.

Comment

I measure the "dimples" on late model Stude wheels at 9 3/4 - 9 13/16". I'm currently looking at retainers for the Stude poverty caps to be added to a set of Wheel-Vintique wheels. Dimples of 10 1/8" would really distort the caps that I have, IMO.

Comment

I just measured the caps I have. You are right if the 10 1/8 nominal dimples are that actual dimension. The Studebaker caps measure 9 11/16 ID and 10 1/8 OD. It looks like the dimple diameter should be 9 7/8 to 9 15/16 max (what you measured). I wonder if 10 1/8 dimples could be ground down since only a little over 1/16 of material would need to be removed from each dimple?

What kind of retainers were you looking at? I have seen discussion of grinding slots for spring type retainers and screwing on a retainer piece like a washer that makes the right diameter. These assume the wheel has a smaller dimple dimeter. It would be nice to have an adapter ring that could be snapped on the wheel, that has projections that the Studebaker cap snaps over.

Comment

The perfect solution would be to reproduce a Studebaker cap to fit the larger diameter dimples. The problem is the different caps used over the years.
              Could the larger dimples be removed and clips, like the 1950's cars, be installed in slots cut into the wheels?
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The wheels I'm using, due to the large lug area depression, won't allow the 50s era clips to snap down at the correct diameter. Captain Billy found a supplier for pre-70 VW clips that rivet to the wheel, that might work, but dimensions are critical. I need to get one to measure. In the meantime I'm fashioning some steel "loops" that can be welded to the wheel.
                I'm advised that if you go the clip route, you need at minimum 5 per wheel for highway driving.

Comment

Originally posted by over50 View Post
                  The Ford wheels will accept the Stude small caps, BUT, and a big BUT, the Stude small hubcaps WILL distort......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

I was told that the old MOPAR wheels (pre 68) that use the large dog dish hubcaps are a good fit for the Studebaker dog dish caps. If so, Specialty Wheel has them in wider rim widths at reasonable prices. Does anybody know if this is true about the fit, or have an old MOPAR wheel (5 0n 4.5 BC) to try the fit of a Studebaker dog dish?

Thanks
                    Norm

Comment

[QUOTE=over50;726033]I was told that the old MOPAR wheels (pre 68) that use the large dog dish hubcaps are a good fit for the Studebaker dog dish caps. If so, Specialty Wheel has them in wider rim widths at reasonable prices. Does anybody know if this is true about the fit, or have an old MOPAR wheel (5 0n 4.5 BC) to try the fit of a Studebaker dog dish? Thanks Norm/QUOTE]

Usually Norm most people refer to "Large" Hubcaps as Wheel Covers and "Dog Dish" as small center Caps (Hubcaps).
                      So if you are asking do small Stude. Hub Caps fit the Mopar Wheels, they DO NOT. Chrysler used very small Hub Caps.

But if you are asking will Mopar Wheels take a Stude. Wheel Cover, YES they will, but look for ones with the anti-spin bumps on each side of the Valve Stem, or you will be cutting valve stems.

I would not use Steel Valve Stems because of the grinding, squeeking, rubbing of the wheel cover on them.

I run 1976 to '78 or so Chrysler Cordoba 15 X 5.5 steel wheels on my '64 Daytonas with no problem using stock '64 Wheel Covers, but Hub Caps do not fit.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, check out Classic Chambered.com. In the wheel section, note the pre68 dog dish wheels are referred to as Large. Later caps are called Small.

Comment

Originally posted by dustybob View Post
                          Rich, check out Classic Chambered.com. In the wheel section, note the pre68 dog dish wheels are referred to as Large. Later caps are called Small.
                          Well fine yes there are different sizes of "Hub Caps" that would be why Fords are larger and Mopars are smalller than Stude. we know that, but what are they doing about or (Calling) a real "Wheel Cover"?

Almost nobody wants the el cheapo "Hub Caps" on an original Stude. !
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,where do you get all your facts from ? I've seen darn near as many ORIGIONAL studebakers with factory dog dish caps as I've seen ORIGIONAL studebakers with factory wheel covers.
                            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Well fine yes there are different sizes of "Hub Caps" that would be why Fords are larger and Mopars are smalller than Stude. we know that, but what are they doing about or (Calling) a real "Wheel Cover"?

Almost nobody wants the el cheapo "Hub Caps" on an original Stude. !
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                              Rich,where do you get all your facts from ? I've seen darn near as many ORIGIONAL studebakers with factory dog dish caps as I've seen ORIGIONAL studebakers with factory wheel covers.
                              Not even a "almost close" contest Joe, you are free of course to "Like" the Hub Caps if you wish.

On certain Color Wheels vs the right Body Color the Painted Wheels & Caps do look really nice, but no top of the line Daytona, Cruiser and certainly NEVER a Hawk or Avanti owner would have such a cheap looking thing in the 1960's anyway, just like Black Tires, and there are almost NONE today at our International Meets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagonaire in Redondo.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1679354

I owned this '63 Daytona Wagonaire in 1966 to 1970 and I think it looks great with Avanti Red (Maroon) Metallic Paint on the stock Wheels and '60 Lark "Hub Caps".
                              But unfortunately I was about the ONLY one at the SDC Madonna Inn Concourse, Solvang, La Palma, and other Calif. Car Shows with Original Top of the Line Studes. without Wheel Covers, that were Std. on Hawk and Avanti.

And no I do not remember anyone ever taking off points (in those days) for my New Gold with Black '64 Fairlane V 289 Emblems and shaved "LARK" Letters!
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X