steering wheel fails to center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: steering wheel fails to center

Have been finishing modifications to my 62 GT Hawk and have been unable to find a solution locally, so am hoping someone who has modified a Stude can help. I replaced the original front steering assembly with a 79 Dodge Omni power rack and pinion set up. Have checked all the geometry etc., but after a full hard right turn, the steering wheel does not center itself. If I do a hard left, the steering wheel will center.
    The car drives great and I can take hands off the steering wheel at highway speeds and car continues to run straight. I have equal rotation of the wheel to right and left and the failure to center only happens on full right turns, and centers fine after a hard left turn.
    Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?? Thanks for any feedback.

Had a similar problem on a stock '56 Chevy Nomad, I swapped wheels/tires on the front and the problem followed the wheel/tire. Replaced the tires and it was fine. Just something easy to check....

Comment

This might be out in right field but I would suspect something in the rack hanging up on hard right turns. I would drain as much of the power steering fluid & flush out the system. Possibly there may be some debris hanging it up.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

On new rack number two now. That was my first thought, a bad part out of the box, so I replaced it. Guess that is a possibility, but it is a major task to change out the unit now because of the way it had to be mounted to clear the oil pan on the big block Hemi. Was hoping for a simple solution that I haven't tried.

Not quite sure how swapping wheels would help. Did you change tire or rim size?

Comment

Originally posted by GTHEMI62 View Post
          Not quite sure how swapping wheels would help. Did you change tire or rim size?
          I switched the left front tire/wheel to the right side and vice versa. Apparently one of the tires had taken a "set", so the problem (fail to center) switched to the opposite direction. I replaced all four tires and it drove fine after that. I can't explain it much more, just try it and see if it makes a difference. Doesn't cost anything but time.....

Comment

I too would make sure clamps holding rack to frame are secure, bushings fit appropriately, the rack, tie rods may be bent. perhaps the rack it may not be straight. Do your ragjoints have good range of motion? If you are happy with how it tracks and alines can you move the steering wheel a tooth or 2. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X