Annual Rod Run Surprises!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Rod Run Surprises!

Our local Rod Run usually attracts around 300 cars with a few Studes that I'd call "regulars", an M, a few 2R's, a Starliner and usually a GT or two. But this year, I found a couple "first timers" that stopped me in my tracks. First was a beautiful '64 Daytona R2 4-speed that according to the window sticker is a full package car! Didn't have a chance to speak with the owners, but they were from the Fargo area.

Next is an 18K mile completely original '62 F3 Marshal! Full gauges, zippered headliner, 289 stick overdrive car originally from Ohio. I wasn't able to catch up with them either, but they live less than 100 miles from me, so I may get to bump into them in the future.

And for you prewar guys, a very nice '27 Dictator from a small town just a few miles South of here. Very clean inside and out.

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

That's the first fawn hardtop iv'e ever seen, really sweet looking. All 3 cars are very nice.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Thats' very cool, Skinny; thanks. If the '64 hasn't been painted, it's Golden Sand. 'Hope you get to meet those folks later and get some numbers off thos cars.

And figure the odds at 85 years out: At our Indy Chapter SDC IDYSD meet yesterday, Charlie Griffith's 1927 Dictator sedan was driven to the meet. Save colors, it's identical to the one you saw and photographed: two shades of green rather than blue! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What's a zippered headliner? I've never heard that term before.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
          What's a zippered headliner? I've never heard that term before.
          The zippered headliner came into play if the car was wired for roof lights from the factory. This gave easy access for police lights, taxi lights etc, like this example from one of my old '61 police cars.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            And figure the odds at 85 years out: At our Indy Chapter SDC IDYSD meet yesterday, Charlie Griffith's 1927 Dictator sedan was driven to the meet. Save colors, it's identical to the one you saw and photographed: two shades of green rather than blue! BP
            This car 2nd photo from the top? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...riday-ASC-Tour

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
              Our local Rod Run usually attracts around 300 cars with a few Studes that I'd call "regulars", an M, a few 2R's, a Starliner and usually a GT or two. But this year, I found a couple "first timers" that stopped me in my tracks. First was a beautiful '64 Daytona R2 4-speed that according to the window sticker is a full package car! Didn't have a chance to speak with the owners, but they were from the Fargo area.

Next is an 18K mile completely original '62 F3 Marshal! Full gauges, zippered headliner, 289 stick overdrive car originally from Ohio. I wasn't able to catch up with them either, but they live less than 100 miles from me, so I may get to bump into them in the future.

And for you prewar guys, a very nice '27 Dictator from a small town just a few miles South of here. Very clean inside and out.

Could the brown 64 belong to Gary Olson? he lives in that area and has R-2 cars.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Skinny, did you have your Studebaker there? Looks like a nice turn out of cars.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Could the brown 64 belong to Gary Olson? he lives in that area and has R-2 cars.
                  Yes, it's one of Gary's cars. Stunning example inside and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    Skinny, did you have your Studebaker there? Looks like a nice turn out of cars.
                    Didn't get it ready in time. Decided not to rush the bodywork, so I'm still mid-paint with the car half apart. Still had fun checking out all the cars though.

Comment

Another year has past and I did finally meet up with the owners of the '62 Marshal, nice folks that really enjoy Studebakers. Met up with them at the Dakota's Chapter meet in Custer over Labor day weekend. Made plans to meet up at our annual rod run this weekend and check out my Marshal, but they ran into some problems. There good friend Gary Olson, who owns the '64 R2 (from last years pics above) had a parking lot accident. Some idiot was cutting across at a pretty good clip and bashed in the Daytona's right side badly. Luckily no one was in the passenger seat and Gary's ok, but the car is a mess. Going to try and meet up next weekend with a little less drama.

Here's the Marshal at Custer along with there friends '37 Packard 120 street rod.

The Packard made it to our show also, along with a '50 Starlight I hadn't seen before. Over 400 cars this year with a few other Studes, maybe I can join in one of these years..........

Comment

Working...
                      X