Edelbrock Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Edelbrock Problem

I installed a new Edelbrock 1403 on my 289 last winter. I ran the engine quite a bit and it ran great. Nice and smooth. Then I got started doing some rust repair work and then had to go out on business for most of the summer. Long story short, I neglected the car for about 3 months, during which time it wasn't started at all.

Today I started it again for the first time and it was very rough. After it warmed up it smoothed out a little but still no where near as smooth as it was back in the winter / spring. When I first tried to start a few days ago I discovered that the solenoid had failed and was holding 12V on the "I" terminal all the time. This back fed through the coil resistor and was keeping power on the electric fuel pump. This resulted in a very flooded carb.

My assumption is that during the 3 months of neglect, the gas evaporated out leaving a varnish that caused the needle to stick open allowing the fuel pump to flood the carb.

While trying to determine the cause of the rough idle today, I noticed that the jet on the right side was dripping fuel down the throat of the carb every time I opened the throttle a little. It would also backfire through the exhaust every time it dripped liquid gas. It seems this was only happening on the right side. I could never see it drip fuel out of the left jet.

Again, my assumption is that the gas evaporated out leaving a varnish, and that is causing my problem.

This is my first Edelbrock carb so I don't know anything about them. I am hoping a little carb cleaner added to the gas will clear this up. If not, I guess I have to pull it apart. How difficult are these as compared to a Holley? Any tips on does and don't if I have to pull it apart?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

You might try a couple of cans of gas dry. In that amount of time,you might have picked up moisture in your tank. That could lead to poor performance.
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Simple carb to rebuild.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

You can add a can of Sea Foam to the fuel and see it it helps and get some Sea Foam spray and spray out the carburetor.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

(Now.... don't laugh)

Before you tear into the carb.....
          Since it was running well before it was parked....
          Try rapping on the carb body with the plastic handle from a good sized screwdriver.
          Sometimes the needle sticks, and a little shock will help it break loose.
          BTDT (and I like to try all the easy/free things first)
          HTIH
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree with DEEPNHOCK, but on the 'varnish' buildup.... You could be right about that.....todays gasoline evaporates out quickly, and that process does tend to leave a residue behind....just running
            the engine for a while may help....and change the fuel filter to make sure this isn't a fuel tank issue (cut old filter open and inspect). Good luck!

Comment

It's a possibility that you have some kind of issue with debris from the "rust repair" getting into the carb. Just another thought. A good cleaning may go a long way.

Rog
              As you walk down the fairway of life you must
              smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

Comment

Remove the fuel line, spray a good heavy shot of carb cleaner into the fuel inlet, give it a quick (but easy) shot of air from your air gun, rap it with the screwdriver handle and hook it all back up and it will probably be OK. If not the rebuild is a snap on a carb that has no throttle shaft wear.

Good luck
                Ken Michael

Comment

Working...
                X