PDA

View Full Version : Five Obsolete Auto Accessories, how many do you have on your Stude?

Dan White
09-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Whitewalls
Cassette Deck
Sealed Beam Headlights (probably just about everyone)
Clutch Pedal
Vinyl top ('64 GT Hawk sport roof anyone?)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/09/07/obsolete-automotive-accessories-five-disappearing-car-features/?intcmp=features

r1lark
09-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Whitewalls
Cassette Deck
Clutch Pedal
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/09/07/obsolete-automotive-accessories-five-disappearing-car-features/?intcmp=features

Huh? Cassette decks are obsolete already?? No big deal, I'm still using the 8-track deck...........:lol:

SN-60
09-08-2012, 09:13 AM
To: Dan White,---- My Speedster has one of those reel-type trunk lights which I've always thought are kind of neat!

Guido
09-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Whitewalls
Cassette Deck
Clutch Pedal

Only the folks at Fox "News" would classify a clutch pedal or headlights as an accessory item...

8E45E
09-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Only the folks at Fox "News" would classify a clutch pedal or headlights as an accessory item...

'Accessory' is the wrong term to use for the two items you mention, but cars with a clutch pedal are alarmingly rare as the article points out. Even the Italian exotics have self-shifting transmissions now.

Craig

Dan White
09-08-2012, 11:26 AM

This is a story from Hagerty Insurance that Fox has linked to, as they often do!

Da Tinman
09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
cassette deck

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/RIP%20Steady%20Breaker/100_1461.jpg

Kleenex holder

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/RIP%20Steady%20Breaker/100_1459.jpg

White walls

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/RIP%20Steady%20Breaker/100_1730.jpg

Sorry no clutch or vinyl top.

Maverick
09-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I guess I am one of the 7% of Americans ordering the clutch my last 3 cars all have a clutch. My new 2013 Camaro was also ordered with a clutch.

studegary
09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
'Accessory' is the wrong term to use for the two items you mention, but cars without clutches are alarmingly rare as the article points out. Even the Italian exotics have clutchless transmissions now.

Craig

Don't you mean cars with clutches as being rare, rather than "cars without clutches" as being rare?

Dan White
09-08-2012, 02:25 PM
My last 2 Subarus were sticks!

However, I switched my '50 Hudson over to 6V reflector buckets with replaceable bulbs like the new cars have.

jlmccuan
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
What about my curb feelers?

JimC
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I think "component" would be a better term than accessory. A clutch pedal isn't an "accessory" to cars with a traditional standard transmission.

That being said, between my three cars, I have 3 of the 5. If you thow my '02 Ford into the mix, I get the obsolete tape deck as well.

What about luggage racks? I don't see anybody carrying luggage on their roof or rear deck lid anymore, it seems.

Oh, and continental kits. Those are definitely worthy of the list ;)

8E45E
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Don't you mean cars with clutches as being rare, rather than "cars without clutches" as being rare?

Yep, you're right, I mean cars with clutch pedals being rare. Many of these cars without clutch pedals are actually standard transmissions with self-shifting devices; much like what many automakers (including Studebaker) were doing in the late 1930's until GM came out with the Hydramatic.

Craig

Andy R.
09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
LOL - the cassette deck in our Saturn won't be obsolete until we wear out all 100 or so of our tapes.
At $.25-.50 a pop, there's no shortage of used ones either, so long as we don't mind music up to the mid-90s.

Some of the homemade mix tapes found at Thrift Shops for a dime are GOLD...plus, you get the added fun of "profiling" the common thread/taste/personality of the person who put it together.

Good point on the clutch pedals - our "automatic" DSG transmission is actually a dual clutch setup with no torque converter.

Chris_Dresbach
09-08-2012, 05:54 PM
White walls, vent windows, chrome bumpers that stick out (I don't know of any car today that has bumpers that aren't molded into the front end), manual windows, bench seat, carburetor, drum brakes, I could go on and on.

1962larksedan
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Frankly: I'd like to see those 'Euro' headlights rendered obsolete like back for the 1941 model year since there are waaaay too many different capsules out there. Long live sealed beams! :)

1962larksedan
09-08-2012, 07:19 PM
White walls, vent windows, chrome bumpers that stick out (I don't know of any car today that has bumpers that aren't molded into the front end), manual windows, bench seat, carburetor, drum brakes, I could go on and on.

Manual windows can still be had of most pickup trucks I suspect as well as a few cars.............2012 Chevy Spark comes to mind. Bench seat: again pickups and maybe the Toyota Avalon?

CHIEF BLAZE
09-08-2012, 09:03 PM
How about these:

Trunk mounted radio reverb thing that goes "BONG" when you hit a bump.

Also, the thing that many of us have in our Studebakers...hand-cranked antenna adjustment on left kick panel.

C/B

JRoberts
09-08-2012, 09:26 PM
What about a "real" compass, not one on your GPS? My Cruiser has a liquid filled compass that I believe was a factgory, or dealer installed, option.

50starlite
09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
How about a "real" clock! Vacuum wipers! Bumper jack! Ash tray! Real over-drive! Oil filter!

Dick

Chris_Dresbach
09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Oil bath air cleaner, gas tank filler neck that is "open" (no flap), flat glass, lap seat belts, horn buttons, single master cylinder and lack of a brake booster and ABS, lack of crash padding, wind lace.......

JimC
09-09-2012, 01:28 AM
More obsolete stuff:

The AM only radio and radios with pushbutton presets.

Don't forget vinyl headliners.

Or horn rings, or hard resin steering wheels for that matter. (Or non-collapsing steering columns, or just steering wheels without airbags.)

Generators, and while we're on that topic, anything that's not 12v negative ground

Doors with "flat glass" windows could go on the list.

Gas tank filler tubes on the rear of the car aren't around today either.

With the ever-dwindling number of smokers, ash trays and cigarette lighters are not obsolete yet, but their days are probably numbered. That being said, I don't remember the last time I saw a new car with an ash tray in the back seat, something that used to be quite common.

Chrome. (Perhaps the biggest pity in my mind. Well, maybe. Bench seats are pretty high up there for me too...)

A vehicle without air conditioning is a rare bird these days.

Floor mounted pedals have also gone the way of the dodo.

Seen a split windshield lately?

And then there are the things that are purely subjective, like "charm", "character", "uniqueness", etc...

The bad news is that Studebakers are largely obsolete.

The good news is that I love them that way :)

BobPalma
09-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Purely subjective, Jim?

How about the ability to easily see out the rear of the car to back up or change lanes? 'Commented same to my wife yesterday while driving our '64 Daytona sedan to our IDYSD event: A quick check to the RR before changing lanes on a multiple-lane highway is so muich easier in 'most any older car with a deck lid that is low enough and a backlight that is large enough to actually provide an effective field of vision to the rear of the car. :woot: BP

Sdude
09-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Whitewalls
Cassette Deck
Clutch Pedal

Whitewalls - on the car but not the truck
Cassette Deck - in the car - I figure it's an anti-theft radio. The CD player is in the trunk
Sealed beam headlights on both
No vinyl tops
Clutch pedal - OK, I think I may be the only one that has a clutch pedal in an automatic transmission truck. And mine IS an accessory as it's sole function is to engage the starter.

comatus
09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
There is a sociologist at Boise State who holds that men are obsolete.
The only funny thing about that is speculating what his career must be like in Idaho.
Come to think of it, a sociologist probably wrote this article.

1962larksedan
09-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Purely subjective, Jim?

How about the ability to easily see out the rear of the car to back up or change lanes? 'Commented same to my wife yesterday while driving our '64 Daytona sedan to our IDYSD event: A quick check to the RR before changing lanes on a multiple-lane highway is so muich easier in 'most any older car with a deck lid that is low enough and a backlight that is large enough to actually provide an effective field of vision to the rear of the car. :woot: BP

Well stated! That's one huge thing that p*sses me off about pretty much any current car out there.

JimC
09-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Purely subjective, Jim?

I've avoided that by driving a minivan for my modern car. Nothin' but glass, and no rear deck lid to get in the way. ;)

That being said, I agree with you on modern cars. It seems like people enjoy trunks that are almost as tall as they are anymore. And whatever happened to trunk space?

Milaca
09-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Perhaps Fox News should get their automotive stories from Turning Wheels to ensure that they are getting accurate and fact based information. :)

comatus
09-09-2012, 03:43 PM
It couldn't hurt.

Probably wouldn't be any skin off the noses of Time, Newsweek, Forbes and [MS]NBC to check in once in a while, too.
It's not as if any of them had Ken Purdy, Chris Economacki or Brock Yates on staff. And we do have some Noted Authorities.

evilhawk
09-09-2012, 11:48 PM
If it came from FOX then its BS. Did you know that people who watch FOX news actually know less about current events than the average person? Thats a fact. :)

63 R2 Hawk
09-10-2012, 12:26 AM
I wonder if my Startix, free-wheeling, opening windshield, spark advance/throttle levers and laminated safety glass on my '32 Stude are obsolete yet?? BTW, evil- I have more faith in FOX than I do CNN, CBS, NBC and ABC......just sayin'

Jeff_H
09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Underdash FM converter.

Bordeaux Daytona
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
LOL - the cassette deck in our Saturn won't be obsolete until we wear out all 100 or so of our tapes.
At $.25-.50 a pop, there's no shortage of used ones either, so long as we don't mind music up to the mid-90s.

Some of the homemade mix tapes found at Thrift Shops for a dime are GOLD...plus, you get the added fun of "profiling" the common thread/taste/personality of the person who put it together.

I bought a bunch of tapes from thrift stores or garage sale over the years too. I still use the cassette in my truck when the cd player acts up.
Have you seen that new esurance commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqxFi_EK30

cultural infidel
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Kleenex holder

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/RIP%20Steady%20Breaker/100_1459.jpg

White walls

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/RIP%20Steady%20Breaker/100_1730.jpg

Sorry no clutch or vinyl top.

Sweet Kleenex holder. I would definitely hang that in my Commander. And I quoted the 3rd pic just because it gave me reason to look at your car again lol.

Sam Ensley
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I agree with Cultural Infidel on the beauty of the car above. I have a hard time classifying standard transmissions, clutches, etc. as accessories. When I was growing up here in the southern mountains during the forties and early fifties, members of the Crimson Cranial Support fraternity liked to "doll up" their cars. I must admit that I'm still addicted to some of those items, especially fender skirts. Other items were mud-flaps, whitewall tires, fog lights, bumper guards and/or tips, A swan on the hood, spotlights, shades and/or half-moons on the headlights, vent window deflectors, bug-catcher, Cadilac style full wheel covers, flippers, or trim rings, loud dual exhausts, suicide knobs, blue-dot tail light lenses, and a fox, sometimes racoon, tail hanging from the antenna or rear view mirror. (The kids tried to imitate their heroes by hanging squirrel tails on their bicyles.) Curb feelers weren't too popular around here because there weren't many curbs. In those days, any kind of radio was a luxury.

cultural infidel
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree with Cultural Infidel on the beauty of the car above. I have a hard time classifying standard transmissions, clutches, etc. as accessories. When I was growing up here in the southern mountains during the forties and early fifties, members of the Crimson Cranial Support fraternity liked to "doll up" their cars. I must admit that I'm still addicted to some of those items, especially fender skirts. Other items were mud-flaps, whitewall tires, fog lights, bumper guards and/or tips, A swan on the hood, spotlights, shades and/or half-moons on the headlights, vent window deflectors, bug-catcher, Cadilac style full wheel covers, flippers, or trim rings, loud dual exhausts, suicide knobs, blue-dot tail light lenses, and a fox, sometimes racoon, tail hanging from the antenna or rear view mirror. (The kids tried to imitate their heroes by hanging squirrel tails on their bicyles.) Curb feelers weren't too popular around here because there weren't many curbs. In those days, any kind of radio was a luxury.
this list is phenomenal. I have thought about getting the headlight shades, Breezies (Vent Window Deflectors), and a Tiger tail to hang from the antenna.

CHIEF BLAZE
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Three more?

The cylinder shaped canister that hung from the roll up window on the right side of the car. Air flowed through the canister and was humidified (if you filled it with water beforehand.) A/C anyone?

Before 8 tracks, in 1964, I had a stereo (that would be front and rear speaker) tape deck that played very large cassettes. These only played a few songs and used a large loop tape. The cassettes were much larger than 8 tracks.. I don't recall what that deck was called.

The canvass water bag that hung from the front bumper.

C/B

JimC
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Before 8 tracks, in 1964, I had a stereo (that would be front and rear speaker) tape deck that played very large cassettes. These only played a few songs and used a large loop tape. The cassettes were much larger than 8 tracks.. I don't recall what that deck was called.Being a bit of an audio/video geek, I'd bet you're thinking of the Fidelipac. It was the first infinite loop cartridge, and came in 4, 6, and 8 inch widths. There were some car applications built, but off the top of my head, I don't know if any facilitated the 6 or 8 inch cartridges. They were actually more popular in the radio industry, and believe it or not, I know of at least one lonely little rural AM radio station that still uses "carts" as they were called for commercials and show segments. They were phased out of the commercial realm pretty quickly though by the technically superior Stereo-Pak, which was a modified dual-track version. I don't believe that the Stereo-Pak had anything other than the 4" cassettes, but I'm really digging way back in the dusty recesses of my brain for all of this, so take my historic review with a grain of salt. Really, none of this might be accurate at all! :D

JimC
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
By the way, I've always sorta wanted curb feelers, but I don't think they'd jive well with the '63's overall look. Maybe when I get a nice '50.

63 R2 Hawk
09-11-2012, 11:36 PM
'bout Porta-walls.... anybody got 'em?

jimmijim8
09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I've got vent window wind deflectors and a suicide knob on my car right now. Am looking for the old style rear mudflaps. Any body have a set for sale,trade, free? cheers jimmijim

Ted Preston
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
OK, I'll come play in this thread.

Who recognizes this period accessory, the one on the firewall, with a tube stretching over to the carburetor base?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/waterlaw99/001-5.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/waterlaw99/004-4.jpg

That's a Jay Lubricator. Theoretically, it sucked a mist of lubricant into the top end to lubricate the upper end of your valves and cylinders. Let's just say that I have some doubts about its effectiveness, but it looks neat enough to maintain it's honorary place on the firewall, even if I keep the tube plugged so that it doesn't gum up my top end!

Here's a link to an entertaining period advertisement extolling the virtues of this accessory. It seems it would even help keep your battery more fully charged!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1301&dat=19271011&id=y61hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=55YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6529,2170519

JBOYLE
09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
If it came from FOX then its BS. Did you know that people who watch FOX news actually know less about current events than the average person? Thats a fact. :)

Yes, you heard it on NPR. :)
Don't let MSNBC viewers know you have more than one car...you'll be call a "1 percenter" or more precisely a "greedy, rich b@stard"....especially in Minnesota. Say "hi" to Al F for me. :)

showbizkid
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/clarknovak/FireExtinguisherTraining.jpg

Yes, you heard it on NPR. :)
Don't let MSNBC viewers know you have more than one car...you'll be call a "1 percenter" or more precisely a "greedy, rich b@stard"....especially in Minnesota. Say "hi" to Al F for me. :)

Boy, it's amazing how politics will pop up inside a perfectly innocent thread!

Knock it off, guys, and let's stay on the topic, please.

63 R2 Hawk
09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
It's George's fault......

cultural infidel
09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/clarknovak/FireExtinguisherTraining.jpg

Boy, it's amazing how politics will pop up inside a perfectly innocent thread!

Knock it off, guys, and let's stay on the topic, please.
couldn't agree more

evilhawk
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Im not sure if this was mentioned or not, but glass sediment bowl style fuel filters and full size spare tires have become something of the past. Oh, and lets not forget vent doors.

stall
09-17-2012, 07:11 PM
In many cases it's better not to insult large groups of people you have never met. To quote Will Rogers, "Never miss a good chance to shut up." Of course I'm writing that after rising to the bait.
Regards, Murray