Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uncontrollable impulse purchasing ('84 Avanti)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My uncontrollable impulse purchasing ('84 Avanti)

I have always sort of liked what Steve Blake did to Avantis before he went bankrupt. A decent sounding '84 came up on eBay a couple weeks ago. I threw in a Snipe bid because I thought it was going pretty cheap. The high bidder turned out to be a zero feedback ringer so I got a second offer. I decided to go ahead and take it. The seller wanted PayPal which was OK for me because with the timing of my credit card bill closing, I won't be paying for the car until November 1. He had owned the car for six years and proclaimed that he wasn't a car guy, but he liked the car, but now he can't drive anymore due a medical condition (apparently true). Also, his wife has been after him to get rid of it (sound familiar?). The '64 has so many issues and I get aggravated working on it. Wife is afraid to drive it, but she loves Avantis. However, she didn't like the Recaros on our '83 so how she takes to it remains to be seen. She is having back problems and even the thicker '64 seats are uncomfortable for her. I figured if the '84 doesn't work out I can probably flip it and do OK with a better description and more detailed pictures.

So the wife and I left the house a little before 6 am yesterday to drive to 350 miles (near Columbus, OH) to pick it up. Uneventful trip except for a couple traffic delays. I took the car for a short spin- looked good and ran fine. Usual disappointments where the pictures made things look better than real life- leather seats were cracked and there was a small tear the driver's bolster (Recaros), the wire wheels had rust that I didn't see in the eBay pictures. But the paint is beautiful and the dash, carpets, door panels were good, the windows ran up and down nicely and the moonroof worked fine too. Underside was good- minor surface rust, but very solid. We did the papers and started for home. It had a quarter tank of gas so I decided to stop to fill up just before we got back on I-70.

As I opened the door, the door handle fell off. OK, just a missing clip. When I got ready to leave and turned the key- click and nothing. Supposedly had a new battery so I didn't bring jumper cables (tools- yes). Fortunately there was a gent there with a Tractor Supply tool box in his pickup so I asked him if he had cables and how much would he would take to jump the thing. He did have cables and he did jump start it- wouldn't take anything for it. Got on the road OK, but had quite a bit of vibration at several speeds. I knew the tires were pretty old because he told me they were on it when he bought it but "they had lots of tread". The date code as I think I read it was 098 so, it looks like new tires are going to be needed. Anyhow, everything worked OK, was turning about 2100 rpm at a little over 60. He had also admitted that the AC wasn't cooling when he got it out this year (and it wasn't). To that point I had only made right turns. When I turned left, the turn signal indicator stayed solid green. OK, probably a bad bulb- no biggee. Wrong, when I checked for the bulb that was out I found no left signal lights were on at all so I guess I have a wiring problem (both parking lights and tailights/stop lights work).

Wife was calling me on the hand held radios we carry saying I was going too fast (she worries about speed limits). Turned out when the car was reading 58 GPS said 65. When the speedometer said 65 I was going 72. I didn't shut off the car again (just in case) until we got to the motel half way home (wife won't drive after dark). It did start this morning, but again, I didn't shut it off until I got home (350 miles on 3/4 tank of gas). It did re-start in my driveway so maybe things are working out. It's in the garage now. Tomorrow is another day.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

The car looks nice in the photo and the dead people in the background arent complaining.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Congrats Paul. Despite the problems, sounds like a winner.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        The car looks nice in the photo and the dead people in the background arent complaining.
        Yeah, I thought about that when I cropped and down sized the photo for posting and wondered if that was an omen.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Usual disappointments where the pictures made things look better than real life-
          It's not just the seller's rosy description or the photos shot on a cloudy day. Even after fifty years of buying cars, I still always imagine the car is in the condition I'd like it to be rather than what it actually is.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Looks nice, Paul. Hope it does well by you.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's a good looking car. And 350 miles on 3/4 tank is pretty good mileage too. Congratulations!
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                It's not just the seller's rosy description or the photos shot on a cloudy day. Even after fifty years of buying cars, I still always imagine the car is in the condition I'd like it to be rather than what it actually is.

jack vines
                I think that's exactly what happened to me. I knew 28 years on leather, especially on the Recaros, couldn't be that nice. The leather on the Recaros in my '83 was cracked on the driver's bolster at 7,000 miles and four years.
                These are some of the eBay pictures.
                Attached Files

Comment

I also like the '84's . I believe Your new Avanti has the important updates to the chassis.....GM disc brakes up front....short steering arms......thicker sway bars...Is that correct? Good luck with it!

Comment

Good luck..sound like a fun semi-project.

Hopefully the seats can be repaired with some hide food and a bit of sewing.
                    A 3 inch seam came lose in my daily driver's leather and the local custom upholstery show made it like new for not much money.

I did my seats in my 63 before paint...so my wife would be a bit happier.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I also like the '84's . I believe Your new Avanti has the important updates to the chassis.....GM disc brakes up front....short steering arms......thicker sway bars...Is that correct? Good luck with it!
                      GM discs, yes. Short steering arms, yes. Thicker sway bars- didn't check.
                      Does that mean the wheels are GM bolt pattern?

Comment

Paul,
                        You have too many cars. Please send the one you dislike the most to me.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

You only live once. It was a good move.

Congratulations

Comment

Looks like you got a pretty good deal, most cars on e-bay need some kinda work. If you think you or your wife wont like it i have a 64 Lark or a 55 Conestoga i'd trade you. Can send pic's. But i think you'll like it just fine.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Nice buy!

What you might want to try to detail and abate the decay of your leather interior is Leatherique cleaner and the conditioner. It won't heal any wounds but it should help soften the dry leather and certainly clean it. It's kinda weird in that you apply the conditioner first, then clean after. http://www.leatherique.com/

As for the wheels, wires do take more work to keep nice. With the wheels off the car, you might try a little navel jelly for the rust, then wax the riims and spokes to prevent or slow further rust. Those look to be Daytons, they are pretty good quality and are likely sealed to run tubelss tyres. Check them for runout before mounting the new tyres.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X