PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Cleveland an Spicer U joints

Ron Dame
09-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I finally found a correct drive shaft for my truck..sort of. Apparently they had two suppliers of U joints, and thus two manufacturers of drive shafts. My old one had Spicer joints, the ones with the clip to the outside of the joint caps. The replacement has Cleveland joints. The Spicers have a groove like Clevelands do on the cap, but I measured, and there is about 0.060 difference in width. And the Cleveland won't fit in the spicer type flange on the diff. I suppose I could try and find a Cleveland flange, but wonder if there is any sort of U joint that would be Spicer on one axis and Cleveland on the other.

sweetolbob
09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Ron

I don't have an answer and hate to state the obvious but in my little corner of the world, we have a little business called Joint Clutch and Gear and they know all things clutch and driveshaft. I'm sure you have a similar one in your area albeit with a different name. They will know the answer to your question and be able to supply it if available. It will be where you go to get your driveshaft modified.

Interestingly, while they provide great service and knowledge, their prices are equal to or better than than our FLAPS. I use them whenever I can.

Bob

Alan
09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Lakewood a subsidy of Prestolite makes a number of different adapter U-Joints. You could check their site for something that would fill your purpose.

52-fan
09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
IF you have a good FLAPS they should be able to supply a combination u-joint in the correct size. My brother is doing the same thing with his truck since installing the T5. Of course, he works at O'Rielly so he just carried the shaft and old u-joints to work and found ones to work. If you have a parts man who will work with you it should be an easy find.

31Streetrod
09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Try Federal Mogul # 505 or Car Quest # 1-3650