Avanti question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti question

Why has the Avanti not appreciated like some other classic cars over the past few years?

Few 'fine' examples exist. Those few bring top dollar. Lately I have seen more and more getting restored to that standard.. They'll catch up.

If you mean in popularity, that will happen too!

Comment

Since Avanti was built by an independant Manufacturer in limited numbers, the old American car buyers addage still applies no matter HOW good, high quality, beautiful or fast a Car is...if EVERYBODY does not own one, it must not be any good!

I am so very glad I am NOT everybody!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I hope and think they will catch up with other cars, as they are a beautiful car. Being a fiberglass body, there are no body rust issues, but the torque boxes(hog troughs) are a rusting issue along with the round rear crossmember of the frame. The II's have a GM power train, so engine and trans parts are no issue, Stude suspension parts also are in supply so just about anything can be replaced on the cars. The Avanti is still a gorgeous car on the road, garnering quite a bit of attention where ever you travel. Sunday, I did a 300 mile drive with my 76 down I-55 from Chicago area to St. Louis. Stopping for gas in Dwight, 3 different travelers came up to the car drooling all over it and asking lots of questions about it. On the road it is not uncommon to hear a horn from a passing car and see a "thumbs up" from the driver. I saw on a recent Mecum Auction in Monterey that a 61 Hawk brought $40,000 so (S) is right that a few cars are getting the price. As owners, we need to make sure our cars are in top shape and really have the cars looking good when we are out with them. Dan Booth, speaking at an Avanti Owners Dinner at the Studebaker Museum during the meet said that we owners are selling our cars too cheap. The law of supply and demand comes into play somewhere in this process. If we don't sell them cheaply, limiting the supply, then demand will raise the prices.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I have watched the car market for many years and my search for an Avanti began in 2010 after reading an article in Hemmings C.C. that gave accolades to the car and then noted that they were really undervalued in the market. My search paid off in 2/12 when I acquired my R1 Avanti for what I considered a good price for a fully restored car: that price was close to the Old Cars Guide and above most markets. I paid the price because I have ALWAYS wanted an Avanti (this car is a fine example) while fully realizing that I am in a small minority of car guys. I think that there is a perception that Avantis are expensive and the truth is that the good ones are. Then you look at the price of Corvettes for the same years and try to figure how a car more exclusive than the Corvette (in original price and smaller initial numbers) still cannot get respect from the general public. In this economy there can be good reasons to sell a car below the market, but, overall, they are still a bargain.

There is some truth to the notion that what was once popular probably will be again. I think that one of the issues limiting pricing is the small number of cars produced throughout the years. They are not in the mind of the general public. This is good if you want to be the only Avanti (or Studebaker) at a meet, but if you crave marque companionship, you will be disappointed. Familiarity with the car might make them more saleable as they might be considered more "mainstream." Some people haven't a clue what the Avanti is and a lot of the people have never heard of Studebaker or Avanti. The cars are not often seen on the road and people seem to prefer the familiar to the radical distinctiveness of the Avanti.

Speaking of which, some people (including some of my friends) think the Avanti a flawed design and, of course, they are wrong. I admit that the Avanti design is beautifully polarizing which can always invite discussion of car design, in general, though.

I have put over a thousand miles on my Avanti this summer and the car has proven reliable and comfortable (though it can be a "tad" warm on a hot day). I have enjoyed every mile, but realize that cost, design, low production and brand-awareness conspire to keep prices down. I am not planning on selling mine and don't plan on making a profit when I do, but probably will as the car WILL eventually be recognized.

The Avanti is a great value, now, and a very interesting (if a bit quirky) collector vehicle. The best-kept secret is that we know what great cars they are and maybe that is the most rewarding part of the stewardship experience afforded by the Avanti...Bob

As i once read: People drive cars, individuals drive Avantis. What price do you put on that?

Comment

At local car shows.. my Avanti is passed by while they go to look at the chromed supercharged Camero or plastic T-bucket down the line... but they they seem to come back and ask lots of questions later.
            I'm glad the price was low when I bought it in '99; but hope it goes WAY UP when the "Old Guy Patrol" says I need to sell it.
            My '57 Olds usually attracts more on-lookers than the Avanti does... it must be the chrome that is missing on Avantis... of being smaller they can't see the Avanti lurking to pounce!
            AVANTI !!!

Comment

Back in '63 a fellow said "If the Avanti had a CHEVROLET nameplate on the trunk lid instead of a STUDEBAKER nameplate...they'd probably sell thousands of them." I'm afraid some of that mentality still exists. I wonder what
              a 1963 'CHEVROLET AVANTI R2' would be worth in todays market? (When is the last time that You saw a '63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE split window coupe sell for $10K or less?)

Comment

SN-60 is on track
                Lots of reasons. I think mostly people are unfamiliar with them and figure why pay 50-60 thousand for an Avanti when they could buy a corvette or GTO, a 66 Charger..... A type of car that will be easier to drive, maintain and re sell. Things are worth what the market will bear. I suppose the up side is regular folk can still buy an Avanti-Hawk or another Studerbaker in great shape at an affordable price. Cars are rarely a good make money investment.

Comment

Here's how other's see Studebakers.
                  Sports Car Market tracks collector car auctions. In addition to world-wide auction reports and results, it has monthly columns on Ferraris, legal issues affecting collectors, events most of us can't afford to go to and has a strong bent towards Full Classics and European high-end cars. Despite the assertions of the publisher that you're supposed to have fun with the cars, it's heavily weighted towards the value of cars rather then any "fun factor".

In its most recent price guide it gives all Studebakers (it begins with the 56 Hawks..Why not 53s?) a "C" Investment Grade.
                  It describes a "C" car as:
                  "Cars that have some inherent interest but have few special or desirable characteristics. Examples are the Porsche 914, the Saab Sonnet II and the Triumph TR4."

I would argue that the Avanti belongs in the "B" category..."Cars that have something speciakl about them, often technical innovation, style or competition procvenance...but normal not all three. They are gererally produced in greater quantities than "A-tier cars. Examples are the Austin Healy 100/4, Ferrari 512 BB and Lotus 7.".
                  I'd guess what works against it is the fact it's a Studebaker....and fairly high production numbers (Ferrari only made 1000 512 BBs).

The "good news"...
                  Most Post-68 Corvettes, small-block Mustangs and Camaros and post-74 Porsche 911s are given "C" grades as well.
                  Most late-model Ferrairs receive "D" grades, (even the million-dollar, limited production Enzo gets a "B") so it isn't just about money or snob appeal.

The Avanti IIs get a "D" grade. Sorry.
                  Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-05-2012, 07:54 AM.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I personally think the main problem is that people are excited about the vehicles they grew up with, saw on the road and identified with as youngsters. Just look at this forum as an example.

There are tons of folks that lusted for vettes, shelbys, Hemi's and BB chevys. That is the base that has the numbers and income. Not that any group is poor but as the groups numbers increase so does the potential for more individuals with money. Ergo, higher value at auction.

If you grew up in SB, had a Studebaker Dealer in the family or just happened across 53/54s or Avantis as I did then you are moved by the brand but if you didn't then they are just another company that went out of business.

One could argue that AH 3000s and Jaguars are valuable beyond their numbers but they were viewed, in their time, as neat and fun to drive little cars. Not so much Studebaker.

JMO, Bob

Comment

Considering I got 10x sticker for mine last summer, I'm not sure. But be certain, it didn't go to an SDC member. Not sure what it is about a lot of folks who collect Studes, but they get upset when someone does well selling an Avanti, claiming we are ruining the hobby. You'll never see the Bowtie Boys upset about a Camaro bringing 6 figures. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well you do know what these CASO SDC Members are worried about right Jim? They are afraid that THEY will be priced OUT of the Market!

That worry does not fly with us "lifers" that already have too many though!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Then there are those who don't care what they are worth but are fortunate enough to have the financial resources to restore and remake our cars into something we intend on keeping for the rest of our lives because the avanti has and always will be the dream car of our lives.
                          sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386
                          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

R-2 held its value but did not appreciate.

Originally posted by Mike Gulett View Post
                            Why has the Avanti not appreciated like some other classic cars over the past few years?
                            I sold my 1963 R2 Avanti last month for $12,000 in my pocket, although I let an "agent" take a $3,500 "commission" as he "flipped" it to a "friend" for $15,500. I paid $12,000 for it 19 years ago, and it cost me about $300 per year X 19 years = $5,700 in parts and repairs, although I did most of the labor. The car was driven to shows and I put only about 7,500 miles on it over 19 years. It was always covered and in a garage, and had a shiny $3,000 paint job when I bought it which looked just as good when I sold it. I felt the price was reasonable for a 95,000 mile Avanti with incorrect aluminum wheels and 15 year old tires.

If I had spent another $15,000 on the car, which would have purchased a good rebuilt engine and new carpets as well as original wheels, wheel covers, and new tires., I might have been able to get the investment back when I sold it....or maybe not. I gave my 1969 Plymouyh Barracuda convertible to my son on his 40th birthday. I paid $1,200 for the car in 1976 and invested in a new paint job, new upholstery, and a new top. It now needs another new top, has a 145,000 mile 318 which runs better than either of my Avanti's, and still looks good enough for parades and shows. It might get $8,000 to $10,000 if sold.

Most of these high priced cars like "57 Chevys, GTO's, and big engine Mopar muscle cars have had a lot of money invested in them, just like the $25,000 Avanti's. It all depends on how much you want to spend on a car. As my father used to say, "Some people have more money than brains."

Last edited by jnfweber; 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Jack, in Montana

Comment

I've owned my Avanti for about 6 years. Always wanted one and to restore one. Six years later its almost back together. Will I recoup what I paid for it and put into it. Maybe . But heres the thing, I brought it because its different from what you see at most car shows.

No offense but you see enough Rustangs, Corvettes, Chargers but how often a Studebaker Avanti? I get more looks at my Avanti at car meets. Also get the usual is it a ford engine, who made it , etc..

If I ever do sell it I won't make a fortune but I brought it because I wanted one and to own a car that compared to others of that era was different. If your looking to make money, buy a Ferrari. If your looking for a car you can appreciate then the Avanti is that car.

Comment

Working...
                              X