No announcement yet.

Proper to have a passenger door mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper to have a passenger door mirror?

Just wondering if it's proper to have a passenger door mirror on a 58 president. Going to order new drivers door and am thinking of mounting one on the passenger door also. Thanks!
    Jim Rostron

Proper is an interesting term, yes it would be a correct location, usually useless and definately an optional dress-up item, if you like the "Loaded", "Dual" look, like Dual Rear Antennas.

If you want one, I would definately recommend the "wide angle" Glass -"X" version.

Since the only Studebakers that actually came Standard with any side view Mirrors at all are '55 Speedsters and Trucks, they were almost always Dealer Installed options.

When Factory pickup was requested, the Mirror(s) would have to be installed during the "Retail Delivery Prep" and it would have to be done with the Driver present or just ballparked per the "normal" installation template (if there was one).

So is it proper? I'll put it this way: it is not "improper" to NOT have either Left or Right Side View Mirrors from an originality standpoint. From a user friendly or Safety standpoint, is a different issue!

The DOT regulations requiring mirrors did not happen until way after Studebaker was gone.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's all about the "BLING" Rich its right - there only DRESS-UP. If you locate it in the correct position on the right door it's useless. If you want a mirror on the right door I would suggest sitting in your seat and have someone position the mirror where you can actually use it, otherwise the vent window will block your view.
      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.

Comment

I put one on my driver's door and it was useless, rattled and bent my door metal. Gone, holes filled, door repainted and I'm getting better at shoulder checking both ways. A stiff neck sometimes slows me down. Yup, they were dress up...for about a month.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

When i installed mine on my clipper I started with the passenger side one had helper hold it so I could use it then mounted drivers side in same place on drivers door not as good as new cars but both can be used . To be cocerned about the mirror being factory correct on older cars to me is silly as dealers or owners installed most mirrors back then .

Comment

When I installed out-side mirrors,I noted they were useless so to solve the problem I put the large sticky back Convex mirrors on the reflecting surface.Problem Solved !

They are available at Wal-mart & no one has noticed them yet,go ahead spend the .99 cents & give it a try,I think U will be surprised at how well they work.I know of a

couple of club members who tried it & thanked me for the idea later on.

Comment

I installed outside mirrors on my '59 Lark Hardtop when I bought it. They're proper Studebaker mirrors, correct for my year. The driver's door mirror is very helpful to me, but the passenger door mirror is of no use to me. I only installed that one for my wife to utilize when she's my passenger.
              As far as "proper" is concerned, for me, it's a safety issue, no more.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Ok, so I'll put one on! I think that was the consensus, wasn't it?
                Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
                  Ok, so I'll put one on! I think that was the consensus, wasn't it?
                  Better read the posts again Jim! They are mostly saying they can be useless especially without the wide angle glass, but it is OK to add a Right side Mirror and totally up to you to decide if YOU like them.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow !
                    What a strange way to build or outfit YOUR car.
                    By consensus.
                    Hey, I say you paint your car puce with a yellow stripe down both sides, and fuzzy dice hanging from the tailpipe.
                    Consensus says it, gotta do it.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I bought a used mirror of e-bay that had great chrome but the mirror itself was shot, went to a truck parts store and found a round spot mirror for $2 that fit the whole mirror perfectly , now i can actually use it. this is on my 64 Lark.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I would say that if you're going for "bling", go ahead. As far as an original look, very few cars of any make had right side mirrors back then, even up into the early 70s.

Dave Bonn
                        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

The left-side mirror on Barney was dealer-installed. It is marginally useful. The right-side mirror was user-installed, and has the wide-angle glass. As noted above, the vent window blocks the view. It is completely useless.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If you want a right-side mirror, go ahead and add one, but make sure it is installed in a place where you can see it, and that it can be adjusted to be useful. If you use one of the mirrors available as an accessory for the year, I don't see how you could lose authenticity points, if you care.

It wouldn't even matter to me if the right side location was slightly different from the left, as long as the mirror works to see to the rear. The car only has a steering wheel on one side, after all.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                            X