Indiana State Flag explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana State Flag explained

Some time ago, I think it was Dwain Grindinger who asked me about the symbolism of the Torch and Stars on The Indiana State Flag. (You might stumble upon the flag while wandering around South Bend and/or Studebaker information.)

I just ran across this Official Description and thought some might be interested. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

So.... who can explain the flag pictured in my avatar?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
      So.... who can explain the flag pictured in my avatar?
      It's a Civil Defense thing of some sort, isn't it, Chris? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's a Civil Defense thing of some sort, isn't it, Chris?
        Not a bad guess, Bob - but try again.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          Not a bad guess, Bob - but try again.
          That's about the best I can do, Chris; I think it had to do with air raid warnings or something of that nature in the mid-50s. BP

Comment

I do remember them, but it's the flag of the City of Wichita.
            It honors our Plains Indian heritage and history.

Comment

So it DOESN'T mean you're the Grand Dragon of...? Never mind....

John

Comment

So it DOESN'T mean you're the Grand Dragon of...?
                Thank goodness it does not!

Comment

Back to the original post, what was the explanation?

The second time I visited this post the flag and description appeared, but not in the initial visit.
                  Last edited by doug; 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

For those of you who've a need to know about said Wichita City flag: "Three red and three white rays alternate from an off-center blue sun. The rays are the path of freedom to come and go as one pleases. The blue disc represents happiness, contentment. Stitched on the blue sun is an Indian symbol for hogan or permanent home. It's a white circle with four sets of three parallel rays emanating from the circle's principal axis."

It has been said, there are so few Wichita citizens who recognize their own city flag, they are like "hens teeth" when trying to find one, who does! Much like some Stude and Packard parts.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      For those of you who've a need to know about said Wichita City flag: "Three red and three white rays alternate from an off-center blue sun. The rays are the path of freedom to come and go as one pleases. The blue disc represents happiness, contentment. Stitched on the blue sun is an Indian symbol for hogan or permanent home. It's a white circle with four sets of three parallel rays emanating from the circle's principal axis."

It has been said, there are so few Wichita citizens who recognize their own city flag, they are like "hens teeth" when trying to find one, who does! Much like some Stude and Packard parts.
                      Interesting, Glen; thanks.

So is there a similar symbol for Civil Defense or Air Raid readiness or something out of the '50s? BP

Comment

Ii think you're thinking of this, Bob:

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I remember that one, too, Clark, but seem to remember a red-white-blue one closer to the subject Wichita city flag...or maybe not! BP

Comment

Bob, here are some OLD CD warning signs/symbols that might be something like you remember:

The Auxiliary Fireman logo looks most like the Wichita flag image to me... there are probably others that might be even closer, but I limited my search to these.
                            Last edited by Studedude; 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                              Ii think you're thinking of this, Bob:

We found one of those signs at the Chippewa plant once...
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X