Using urethane automotive paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Using urethane automotive paints

I believe it's worth mentioning occasionally, that when using urethane auto finishes, no matter if the
    product is 'single stage' or 'basecoat/clearcoat', isocyanates are ALWAYS found in the hardeners that
    must be used to activate these paints. Isocyanates have no color and really no significant smell......
    this chemical is invisible.....but any of it that a painter breathes in STAYS in the lining of His lungs...permanently. In some folks it will begin to fester, possibly instigating lung problems.
    The ONLY safe way to use urethane paint is for the painter to purchase/rent and USE a SUPPLIED
    AIR breathing system with a FULL hood. (Isos can also enter the body through the eye lining) Regular respirators aren't good enough. ISOCYANATES ARE TRULY NOT TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY!

Thank you!

It is so tempting when "just doing a small part" to not take the adequate precautions. Reminders like this are very good.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I thank you also. I knew protection was necessary, but your reminder certainly gives me pause. I did not know that stuff was so dangerous. ~ Dale

Comment

A local body man I know collapsed one day while spraying some Imron.. Luckily someone came into his shop and called 911. Besides almost dying,he couldn't work for about 6 months. Isocyanates ARE nasty!
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
        X