• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Places to See in Colorado Springs

This on our vacation 2004

Garden of the Gods

Helen Hunt Falls Cheyenne Canyon

Let's see..... Pikes Peak, The AF Academy, the Airplane Restaurant, Royal Gorge, whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River, Manitou Springs, 7 Falls, the John May Bug Museum, "Highway to Heaven", San Juans, ... Then if you go North a little, Clive Cussler's Classic Auto Museum, Red Rocks Amphitheater, Cripple Creek, Central City, Rockies, Mount Evans, and the list is endless. Not enough time to see it all! I'm hoping I'll be able to get there!

Comment

Don't forget to visit Leadville, the highest Incorporated town in the US and a tour of the Broadmore Hotel just about three miles from the Host hotel.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Don't miss the Denver area & the Forney Museum forneymuseum.com and the Coors brewery over in Golden. Heck, make two weeks of it and really check out Colorado! THere a lot of great local brewerys as well hiding all over the place. Narrow gauge railroads abound.
        Perhaps I should move there.

Comment

Don't forget a short drive to Cripple Creek. Old gold mining town and one cool place. Take in the Melodrama and cheap hotels. Good food and fun people.
          Dan

Comment

--- and if you are coming in from the West/Southwest, don't miss some great spots in Western Colorado, including the Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Montrose, the fabulous Glenwood Springs Hot Springs or the Ouray Hot Springs,
            and--- if your car can go this high drive up to the very top of 14,000 foot Mount Evans as you get closer to Denver. All spectacular in their own right.

Comment

I don't think you can go to visit the Air Force Academy anymore, since 9/11.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It is my understanding that the Air Force Academy is open to the public.
                Possibly you will need to stop at the gate, but it is not closed off to the
                best of my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                  Don't miss the Denver area & the Forney Museum forneymuseum.com and the Coors brewery over in Golden. Heck, make two weeks of it and really check out Colorado! THere a lot of great local brewerys as well hiding all over the place. Narrow gauge railroads abound.
                  Perhaps I should move there.
                  Although admittedly biased as the Executive Director, I would also encourage folks visiting from places afar to visit the Forney Museum of Transportation while in Colorado.
                  (The correct website address is: www.forneymuseum.ORG if you'd like to learn more about the Museum and it's collection of over 600 artifacts.)
                  Begun in 1955 by the inventor of the instant heat soldering iron and portable "farm welder", J.D. Forney, the collection has grown from the first car, a 1921 Kissel Tourster, to include examples of virtually all forms of transportation.
                  For those not familiar, we have numerous transportation artifacts on display including rail equipment, automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, horse drawn vehicles, bicycles, pedal cars and much more!
                  Some of the more significant pieces in the collection include one of eight surviving Union Pacific 'Big Boy' locomotives, the #4005; Amelia Earhart's first car, a 1923 Kissel 'Goldbug; 20 vintage Indian Motocycles dating from 1913; an 1817 French Draisenne bicycle; Martin Air-Car; 1968 Illinois Sesquicentennial Rail Coach; etc.
                  The Studebakers in the collection include a 1957 Silver Hawk and a 1900 Enclosed Mail Wagon (RFD No. 8) with trunk.
                  The Museum had hoped the SDC International Meet might include a tour to the Forney, but organizers opted not to do so.
                  Just a short hours drive north, we invite you to come and visit while in the area.
                  Another significant automobile collection worth the drive north to Denver includes the Clive Cussler Museum, www.cusslermuseum.com, which includes several Studebakers.
                  A bit further north, just south of Longmont is the Dougherty Museum, (303) 776-2520, which features only pre-war automobiles including several beautifully restored early Studebakers.
                  Finally for those considering which of the Meet tours to take, the Rambler Ranch is an absolute MUST SEE!
                  Primarily Nash & AMC products, proprietor Terry Gale also has a 1961 Lark Convertible, 1964 Daytona Wagonaire, 1964 Zip Van and 1965 Cruiser on display.

See you in Colorado Springs!!
                  Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Wow I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this state, even though I've lived here for over 3 years.
                    www.spannerbird.com
                    Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

We just booked some time at the same Estes Park cabins we spent a week at the week before the 1987 Estes Park meet. My daughters, both on their own now, still have vivid memories of that week. Thus we are returning to the same cabins for 5 more days.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                      X