Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Station wagon owners who have had their car painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Any Station wagon owners who have had their car painted?

I am starting the process of body work that wiill lead to a new paint job. Can anyone tell me how to best remove the the chrome trim, Studebaker and Lark emblem on the tailgate? I don't see how to get inside to remove the metal emblem nuts..

Thanks

Dave

The 'LARK' nameplates have studs on the backside that push into clips in the body. A thin putty knife and a shaved down pocket screwdriver will get it started, carefully get all 4 pins started all at the same time before you pry very hard..
    L A R K
    one or 2 on the L one the thr right of the A and one at the end lower leg of the K

The pins are roughly like above, There are 4 if I remember right
    Last edited by (S); 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Just remove the panels from the inside of the tailgate...and there they are.
      Not saying they are easy to get at...!

And DO...be carefull about any "prying" you do. The stud will break off just as likely as the pushnut/sheet metal nut will come off. You're dealing with OLD pot metal...!

As for the rest of the car...same thing, remove the interior panels find the stude and remove whaever nuts holds things in place. On the longer runs of trim will just be the spring type holders...you just slide the trim off of those. But there will be some sort of solid pin and nut at each end of the trim.

Mike

Comment

When you put the trim back on after the paint job, clear RTV works better than the original clips and will not chip the paint and cause rust.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the imput and ideas.

Comment

If you break one, I'll have some at the Hovander show on the 9th in Ferndale.

Comment

Spray the studs with a bit of pb blaster from the outside or inside. You may try to work some dental floss near the pin {studs} and yank or from the inside tap with a hammer or something within your hand-fingers. cheers jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                If you break one, I'll have some at the Hovander show on the 9th in Ferndale.
                Good to know, thanks Mike..

Comment

Working...
                X