Cool resto tip for you 61-62 Lark and Late C Cab truck owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Cool resto tip for you 61-62 Lark and Late C Cab truck owners

I was looking for some decent switch knobs and even the NOS ones I have have a yellow tint to them. After 40 years they all start to turn, even my new ones. These are moulded in a solid color so I thought 'why not?' its just like buffing paint right?The black colored ones on C cabs get dull too and this works for them also.

On the NOS ones, I rubbed them out with a medium synthetic compound by hand.

On the dirty used ones I used enamel reducer and a lint free rag rubbing quickly and set them aside to 'dry'. I followed with a quick rub with compound.

I used a rag pretty 'wet' and kept moving. if the chemical dwells to long, you may 'melt' too deep into the plastic, so do this quickly. If it does not work the first time, let them dry and do it again. Use only clean, lint free cloth. and follow with rubbing compound.

They cleaned up very well, I am sure you enjoy the results too!

Reminds me of a couple years ago when I sold a used super rare '53 Tri-Star horn button on eBay. It wasn't cracked or broken, but was badly crazed and somewhat discolored. The man who bought it worked in a dental lab where they made dentures. Using denture finishing tools and materials plus repainting the gray back made the button look like new.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Good tip. I have had good results cleaning dirty knobs by rubbing them with Go Jo hand cleaner. Seems to work best when you rub the Go Jo with your bare hands, then wipe and dry them with a clean cotton cloth.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X