• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake line diagram - 1955 commander

i'm wondering if any of you know where i can get ahold of
    the brake line diagram for my
    1955 studebaker commander
    v8

i've looked online...but i know you guys have searched more extensively on parts and diagrams than me.
    if you can help, it'll be much appreciated.

ALSO...
    how do we remove the master cylinder...

lau

If you haven't picked up the shop manual for your car, you probably should. It will make these projects much easier. Reproductions are available from many Studebaker parts vendors. List here...

I have never seen a diagram for the brake lines. Maybe because it is a very simple system.

Two brake lines exit the underfloor master cylinder. One goes to the rear along the inside of driver's side frame rail. It follows the rear crossmember to a point over the rear axle. There is a flex line from there to a T bolted to the rear axle. A hard line comes off each end of that T and runs to each wheel cylinder.

The other line runs to the front of the car also on the driver's side frame rail. It runs to a 4 way connector at the front crossmember. This is where your brake light switch is located. One line runs to the right side of the car, the other to the left. The hard lines each connect to a flex line that runs to each wheel cylinder.

The master cylinder is attached with two through bolts that bolt to the driver's side frame rail. You need to remove the splash pan in the left fender well, the clevis pin in the brake linkage and the return spring, and the brake lines, then the through bolts.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

thank you so much.

Comment

I was surprised to find an excellent diagram for the brake lines in the chassis manual. It even gives lengths of brake line runs. I did all the lines up first to the right length on the bench, then it only took a little while to do some minor bending and connecting underneath.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

I was surprised to find an excellent diagram for the brake lines in the chassis manual.
          I stand corrected. Good tip!

BTW, if you are bending up new brake lines, NAPA (and others) now sell the teflon lined ones that can be bent (even very tight bends) by hand. Much easier than using the old style lines and tubing bender.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

thanx for the tips guys!

Comment

now just a matter of getting the master cylinder to come off...damn you spring!!

Comment

success! we removed the master cylinder and i ordered the repair kit yesterday.
                which concludes WHY the brake pedal had to tension in it - it was loose and pushing right to the floor. we cleaned that **** out and just awaiting to repair it.
                onto the brake lines next...

update:

-all new shoes are put on
                -repair kit for all wheel cylinders are on
                -i ordered 3.25" whitewalls (standard) yesterday from coker.com
                -she's still a little rusty, but i just want it to be able to stop and go for right now

Comment

Working...
                X