2 bbl vs. 4 bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 2 bbl vs. 4 bbl

I want to install A/C in my 62 GT Hawk. Originally the 289 was equipped with a 2 bbl (rebuilt by Daytona Performance, Florida). Recently I replaced it with a 4 bbl WCFB ( also rebuilt by Daytona).

Is there a preference for the engine and/or A/C performance with regard to either the 2 bbl or the 4 bbl?
    Peter Bishop

We have had these discussions before. I have had engines (Stude and non-Stude) with both 2 and four barrel carbs. I have changed them out and switched them around, and to be honest...'cept for the macho "cool" and "bragging"...I have really not experienced enough difference to justify all the effort. Of course, I have also been too cheap (and respectful) of my equipment than to kick it around a lot. I have always been told that a well tuned and adjusted four barrel will operate more economically if you don't spend too much time engaging the extra two jets in normal operation, but there again, I don't know if I have ever had one tuned well enough to confirm that.

If you are concerned about losing noticeable power because of the air conditioner compressor...again, I don't think it's such a big deal. When I had my air-conditioned Lark V8 registered and on the road, it did just fine with that big old style York compressor and a 2 bb carb. If I decide to put it back on the road, I'll probably upgrade the compressor to a new style rotary.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is there a preference for the engine and/or A/C performance with regard to either the 2 bbl or the 4 bbl?
      Don't understand the, "is there a preference for the engine" part of your question.

The engine doesn't care if it's being fed with a two or four barrel carburetor, with or without the air conditioner. Only the driver does.

Per Johns note above, that all depends on the primary ventury/throttle size.
      The two barrel normally has larger venturies/throttle bores than most OEM type four barrel carbs. Therefore, as John notes..."IF" someone takes the time to properly tune the carbuetor to the engine, the four barrel has the "potential" to get better milage...BUT, for most...it's really difficult to not open those secondary throttle bores...after all...that's what they're there for...!

Mike

Comment

Yep-that four barrel sounds so nice when you stomp on the pedal!. I added a/c to my car,and don't notice any difference in power whatsoever. The rpms hardly change when the compressor kicks on.[289 4v]
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

To: PeterHawk,----To answer Your question, all else being equal, the Carter WCFB is the better of the two carbs.

Comment

Working...
          X